PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH COOLING SYSTEM

tim_white
06-13-2004, 05:20 PM
I JUST GOT THE SHOPBOT AND CAN'T FIND ANY COOLING SYSTEM FOR PLASTIC OR METALS, I NEED HELP, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NEED TO USED IT ON PASTIC OR NOT THANKS TIM

jay
06-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Tim, what kind of plastic?

I cut a lot of plastic and find I usually do not need cooling. But to answer you properly we need more information about what you want to cut.

jay
06-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Tim, the best help you can find is a good bit supplier. A quick phone call to them can solve many problems. I am having good success with Onsurd. If their bit catalogue does not have the speed and feed rate for the type of plastic I have to cut I call them and ask for their advice. They want to sell bits and keep you happy. A very simple rule with a lot of plastic is to keep the router speed slow and the feed rate fast. What you want to do is produce nice chips of material not dust!

For my cuts I have had the best success with the largest bit possible, slow rpm, and a faster feed rate than in wood. Example, HDPE (High Density Polyester), 1/2" or 6mm, I cut with a 1/4" downcut spiral bit,(Onsrud, 63-774), 10,000 rpm, at 2 ips, stepdown at 1/4". I was running faster but was getting chatter so I slowed down the feed.

With 1/8" diamond plate aluminium I cut with an Onsrud 63-620,10,000 rpm, .7 ips feed rate. I do use air from the compressor directed at the cutting area of the bit for aluminium.

Hope this helps some.
Jay

joe
06-13-2004, 08:26 PM
T.

You might look at the air cooler made by Arizona Vertex.com.

Cost is about $200. and will blow ice cold air all day long. It comes with all you need to do the job.

j

tim_white
06-16-2004, 09:28 AM
JAY, SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET BACK. WE USE PLEX. AND ACRL. .25 AND .50 THICK, THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP

TIM