PDA

View Full Version : beetle kill

cowboy1296
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
This is not to show how great of a designer I am, mostly because i have not or ever will achieve that level. this is to show the wood that i used. It is ponderosa beetle kill pine. i had some scraps of 1x5 left over and glued them together and after cutting i wiped the sign down with linseed oil. it now has its second coat of polyurethane/mineral spirits 60/40 mixture and is drying. i might add one more coat.

COBOB
06-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Rick, that is beautiful wood. The sign is very nice too. See, you are a designer.
Bob

cowboy1296
06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
the sign started off like being a wooden gate + sign. I even had invisions of it hanging in a barn somewhere. some of my mistakes on this one, you can see holes for hex headed screws, but the holes were drilled before i cut and then some of the holes are in the graphic. need to think this stuff out before i put pedal to the metal. everytime i go gaga over beetle kill i end up hating the worm holes i have had to contend with. they have messed up more then one sign.

kevin
06-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Rick
I assume your getting this from BC .
My 2 cents high light the distress make it a feature in-seed of trying to cover it up or hide
There a 1000 and 1 tings you can do with it flooring

The sign looks good

I,ve posted picture of band saw pine from a barn did not plane or filled holes

cowboy1296
06-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Its not flooring but just rough cut lumber that i started off with. And its American born trees. Thanks to the tree huggers we have plenty of beetle kill in the northwest. Go up just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park and you will see mountains without one living tree on them. I think that the ponderosa has more color and it is bigger. I think that the other beetle kill tree is a lodge pole pine. Many more of those, not as big and i think more checks.

I used gel stain on the graphics, wiping off the excess which left parts of the top lightly stained. I did like the way it looked but i have so much dark stuff and with a show coming up i wanted to mix and match, so brought it back to its natural color.

some of the holes add character and some can destroy a project.

nice cabinet by the way.

benchmench
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
The beetles really save you the work of punching it with an ice pick and beating it with a chain!

danhamm
06-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Lodgepole pine, beetle killed..the blue stain they call denim pine..there is so much of it here we use it for firewood, as it rots very fast..

cowboy1296
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
i hope that it does not rot to fast since my stairs to my loft are made from it. but you are right there is a ton of it.

danhamm
06-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I meant outside in the elements, at present the mills up here are flat out trying to use as much of it as they can, the stumpage on it is .25 cents a cubic meter, there is very little logging for other species "fir" "spruce" or hemlock.