PDA

View Full Version : tool release malfunction

tcombs
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a PRTalpha 96x48 with an ATC upgrade. Recently, the ATC has been acting up. During some, but not all bit changes the Bot would go to drop off one tool and it would error out - drawbar malfunction. Usually, I would rerun the routine and it would work fine. Today, it happened again and now the tool release is not functional at all. I can't even manually change the bits with the green button. The green button on the spindle does nothing.

The only way I've been able to make it release is by pressing the little bypass button on the pneumatic solenoid. So I'm getting air to it, but the signal has been lost.

The connections all seem good and the LED on the ATC interface board for the tool release comes on when I flip output 8 via the keypad control.

I can run files, but I can't use the ATC and the only way to change bits is with the very inconvenient button on the solenoid.

I have the control software version 3.6.32. I tried installing the latest version, but ended up having communication issues and the software could not find the bot. I upgraded the firmware and no success. So I downgraded back to 3.6.32, reloaded that firmware and communication was restored.

Luckily, we're in a slow time for the school, but it would be nice to fix this.

I'm wondering if there is a loose connection inside the spindle, but I hate to open that thing up if I don't have to.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Brady Watson
06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Tim,
Call ShopBot Support.

-B

tcombs
06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Love the simple fixes. Just in case someone else has a similar problem:

Frank at ShopBot guided me to the pressure switch on the air intake. Below is the picture from the ATC install manual. Somehow, one of the contacts on the switch was not seated properly (I believe it was a combination of being bumped and accumulation of dust). I jiggled it and everything started to work. I've since pulled the contacts, blew out all the dust and reseated them. I need to see about covering that switch to keep it from being bumped and covered with dust.

Thanks,
Tim

bleeth
06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Interesting Tim-I had the same problem with my slider not wanting to start the other day. It's got a huge circuit board and all the breakers were fine. Turned out to be some dust that migrated into the contacts on the start switch.