PDA

View Full Version : Bad day cutting

chunkstyle
06-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Anyone know what a 'Run time error- Can't show non-model form when model form is displayed' is all about?

Had a **** day of failed Z-zeroing routines, tool call ups and a prox switch misfire for old times sake. Finally managed to get two sheets cut by 5 p.m. and then this error message on the third sheet attempt.

Seems to be really pooping out this week. Had a good beginning but the errors seem to be accumulating on the machine as I keep throwing the sheet stock on it. Heat? Humidity?

Only managed two sheets today but was able to turn out ten yesterday and eight the day before.

It would be really nice to have some predictability.

chunkstyle
06-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Just squirted out the job again, from the link. Successful tool call up. (only one on this sheet anyhow). Hit the start prompt and BANG!

False prox switch fire. Calling it a night. 2 Sheets total today. Not a good day.

All grounding was checked and connections are good. Rebooted computer a coupla times as well as turning power off and back on.

Issues today were:

Wrong tool change call up after a previous mishap. Decides to run with current tool even after the file gets re-generated from the link. Should be calling up a drilling tool. Fails to ask for the correct bit.

Failed Z zero routines. Failes on second drop even though it touches plate and stops travel.

Prox switch misfires reappearing.

gene
06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
You may need to have a sit down and talk to your bot ! Mine (Pedro) was acting up and i gently told him one more screw up and you will become scrap iron , that i have a cutting torch and i will use it. He hasnt screwed up anymore, i guess it was how i explaned it! Sorry i cant help but i do wish that tomorrow will be much better for you.

chunkstyle
06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
LOL, Thanks Gene. Guess I'm not the first to have evil thoughts for their machine. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

gc3
06-09-2011, 09:15 PM
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100203074105AAdK2hQ

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/83192-run-time-error-401-a.html

dhunt
06-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Two things come to mind (both prob. wrong?)

Grounding?

Overall 'hygiene' of the Operating System on your SB control computer.

Our dedicated SB control computer has minimal software on it: the OS, SB control software,
and a few utilities to keep the OS squeaky clean -particularly a Registry cleaner and Registry-defrag software.

If your Windows Registry is all scrambled, you'll have problems to suit.

When last did you do a Disk Cleanup on your SB control computer??
When last did you defrag its hard drive??

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm

myxpykalix
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Gene,
I have the perfect solution for your problem with Pedro...
Just threaten to call INS on him if he doesn't straighten up:eek:

chunkstyle
06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys,

I just finished installing a registry repair and optimizing program on the control computer. Ran the program a coupla times. Hopefully that will take care of the software flake outs.
Computer has been stripped of everything but SB3 and the Link.

As for the prox sswitch misfires, who knows. They pretty much went away after I installed a good grounding harness on the machine as Gary Campbell explained in one of his posts. Checked all connections to the machine and they look good. DC hose is also grounded well.

I'll put the Registry repair on the weekly to-do list. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'll have good cutting today and finish the job.

chunkstyle
06-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Gotten five sheets done today without a problem. Even have the computer and VFD communicating while the spindle is turned off during a tool change. VFD is updating to the proper tooling RPM again.

Proper tool change call ups are happening also.

I don't want to mix causation with correlation but running the registry repair has, so far, correlated with the machines improved performance. I'm starting to lean toward bad registries as the root cause.

I will definitely be running reg repair once a week and before any big cutting job.

Thanks for the good advice, all. Back on the road...

Tim

dhunt
06-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Gotten five sheets done today without a problem.

I don't want to mix causation with correlation but running the registry repair has, so far,
correlated with the machines improved performance.
I'm starting to lean toward bad registries as the root cause.

I will definitely be running reg repair once a week and before any big cutting job. After 3 yrs. of CNC inactivity, I was called upon to dust off my Shopbot hat 4 wks. ago
and get back into this special sickness of ours...

however my usual hat is a Computer House Calls hat
where I visit homes and a few small businesses, to keep their computers in shape!
That's why my email address is pcdoctor (at) caribsurf dot com ;)

When I make house calls, so many times I get ppl telling me
Skype is not doing this...or My printer no longer does that
...I get weird popups... my computer's usual behaviour is now changed...

So I run Eusing and CCleaner and, 98% of the time, all those humbugs are gone!
Disk Cleanup frees up oodles of disk space, defragging helps too(after Disk Cleanup, not before)
and if you can get your hands on one of the better file management softwares like Perfect Disk or Diskeeper
you can keep all your computers working A1

I can't emphasise how important a clean and sorted Windows Registry is.
Don't take your operating system for granted: it needs love and care too.

Like they say... Ain't Momma happy, ain't NObody gonna be happy in dis house!
In this case 'Momma' is the operating system, and the key to that is...Registry.

bleeth
06-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Glad you're back in the saddle Tim.

Dave: I'd like to hear a bit more about the software you're recommending and proper use of it.

chunkstyle
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks Dave,

I agree with you, too. I'd like to hear more about the software maintenance from Dr. Dave. Anything to avoid getting into the weeds.

Should have mentioned earlier, when asked: Windows XP. Running SB 3.6.38

gc3
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
here is what I use...

dhunt
06-10-2011, 07:56 PM
here is what I use...That's CCleaner. ^ ^

CCleaner started life as **** Cleaner, an excellent name
but as it got more popular, he 'cleaned up' the name/image to CCleaner. :D

I've used it now for about 4 yrs. and install it on every computer I visit!
I trust it implicitly.

CCleaner's Cleaner tool section works under two separate tabs, one for Windows, the other for Applications.
You can check/uncheck whatever aspects of anything you want or don't want inspected and cleaned.

You'll want to UNcheck browser categories like Cookies, Saved Passwords, Site Preferences....
I usually uncheck browsers entirely (click on the browser's name itself) -but you have a look and see what suits you.
You might want to check internet history, for cleansing
so no one can identify what naughty sites you've been to...

CCleaner's Registry tool addresses the more glaring Registry issues, and is one of the first operations I perform.

Eusing is a more thorough Registry cleanser, and will find hundreds (on a first run) more Registry errors
-even after running CCleaner.

Eusing and CCleaner will find different Registry errors, so I run both.

That little Registry-defrag tool I mentioned earlier... is useful after addressing the Registry with both CCleaner and Eusing.
After its analysis operation, it'll state registry fragmentation in % terms, usually under 10%
but I have seen results as high as 40% on one occasion.

After it Defrags the Registry, a restart in mandatory.
Do it. -willingly. ;)
Your machine should boot up noticeably more efficiently.

I often run CCleaner and Eusing a second time, after a first cleansing Restart
-they'll each find a few more tidbits to throw out.
I run CCleaner again and again, until it comes back and says Ain't nuthin else I can find.

I've cleansed a few machines with filthy operating systems
so in need of a good Registry purging that Eusing has found over 2,000 Reg. errors on the first run! :eek:

Needless to say, such machines just 'fly' after having had their brains sorted.
Don't be surprised if a first cleansing with Eusing yields anything like 800-1,000 reg. errors.
That Figure will show down in the extreme bottom left corner of its window.

---------------

Disk Cleanup you all know about (but prob. ignore?)
Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Cleanup
-it finds and clears out stuff that no other software I know of, will.
I refer to Compress Old Files (whatever that is, in Windoze language)
and worth doing monthly, before a good defragging of the hard drive.

I've noticed though, that after using CCleaner for a good while,
that the several categories of system litter that Disk Cleanup identifies for removal is now considerably reduced.
It obviously gets in there ahead of Microsoft, to lessen the work?

When doing all of the above, it's best to have all other softwares closed down, not running.
'Psychoanalysis' on this order taxes system resources considerably
and you don't want to crash the system, or lose data.

Have fun but be careful.

bleeth
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info David.
I'll have at this on the home box this weekend and the office after. I think it is time for both!

gene
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
I have this on my office computer but i never payed attention to what it was for. I will run it this weekend . Thanks

Jack ,
Pedro was born in N Carolina , He's legal!:D

dhunt
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Another thread has since come along that is concentrating of viruses and anti-virus software
but I want to emphasize that maintaining the integrity of a computer's operating system
so you can cleanly and smoothly run industrial robot software on top of that OS
is about more than just keeping malware out of the system!

Given regular everday use, free of intrusions
your Windows operating system is prone to fragmentation of files
and having its Registry ever-more-scrambled, over time and usage.

This is an unavoidable fact of Windows life as we know it.

Every week I visit computers quite free of malware, but whose OS's are dire dire need of some TLC...

* Windows Update hasn't been attended to (thereby weakening the system by not plugging various loopholes) :eek:

* Antivirus is out-of-date, hasn't been updated or scanned in ages! :eek:

* the Registry's a mess! :eek:

* Disk Cleanup? What the heck's THAT -and where would I find it anyway... :confused:

* Whaddy mean DE-FRAG? What's that?? I didn't know I had to do that!

Everyone wants to use use use their computer to death
but no-one wants to give back
-until some layer of software lying on top of Old Momma Windows goes belly-up
and then I get the frantic call: "Help! My computer's grinding to a halt! -I'm so scared it's gonna crash on me!"