PDA

View Full Version : Khattak's Laminar Flow Nozzle Project

khalid
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi,
Here is my Laminar nozzle with 6 inch Diameter pipe. I have to add a Pre-filter with 4" Diameter pipe so that i only have to clean that and not disassembling of complete nozzle. Cutter and RGB lighting is still in progress.
The nozzle is connected to tap water with low pressure so the laminar arc is small... Actual arc is 5.8 feet high and almost 12feet long.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=136107&d=1307771069
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=136106&d=1307771069

khalid
06-11-2011, 02:01 AM
and a short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9opbBlbXN8c

myxpykalix
06-11-2011, 03:31 AM
I can pretty much do the same thing with my garden hose...:rolleyes:

forgive my lack of understanding the point of what you were posting but knowing you it has to be cool!:D

khalid
06-11-2011, 04:39 AM
I can pretty much do the same thing with my garden hose...:rolleyes:

Never ever possible with garden hose pipe alone..Just try and tell us your experience... this is laminar flow, a crystal clear... If if introduce a light at one end it will travel and reach at another end..i will not able to see the lighting in the middle of the flow...
The laminar flow is difficult to achieve at long distances... Just see the following video what can be acheieved :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEqrRV0jMw8

br928
06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Khalid,

I had to laugh. I built one of these a couple of months ago. I am still looking at the high power LED to light it up. I used rubber spline for window screens to make the O-rings for the top and bottom. Cut to length and glued the ends with superglue. Worked great with no leaks.

I trued the ends of the PVC and cut the acrylic end caps on the ShopBot.

gene
06-12-2011, 12:41 AM
With this being able to transfer light like it does why couldnt it transfer data like a fiber optic cable ? i have seen one of these at Disney theeme park. Very nice for a home project

khalid
06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
@stan Holt:
very nice... This project is very easy and low cost. I am still waiting for the 3mm End glow fiber optic (PMMA) one of my freind ordering for me. I think 15ft of cable less than 30 dollars. I will suggest you to take 4inch diameter pipe of about 5inch length and make a pre-filter and install at the inlet of your nozzle. This will help you not to dismantle the complete nozzle for cleanining. Even you can make two of these pre-filters, just remove one and replace it with other. these pre-filters will contain the sponge only. This will make the water more crystal clear/laminar.

@Gene rodes:
IMHO it may transfer the data but you have to ensure no impurities in water and keep your computer at the end of that laminar flow. You will see how the data transfer and your computer shutdown ;)(that was a joke)
Yes these are installed at Disney theme park and looks amazing. I am trying to complete it as soon as possible and if any body interested here i will help.

br928
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
The resulting laminar stream could transmit data because it is essentially a fiber optic. That is how it transmits the light. I am more interested in what you could do with the transmitted data!

Khalid - My plan is to use a 1/2" cast acrylic rod to transmit the light from the LED. I will go through the bottom with a compression fitting to make it water tight stopping about a 1/2" from the exit of the nozzle. Not sure yet how I am going to make the connection externally to the LED source.

khalid
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Stan,
I am really very interested in your cast acrylic rod experiment. I have seen many peoples using 3.00MM fiber optic end glow cables (PMMA) with great results but this PMMA cable is not available here in my country (No website)... When i searched the internet almost all the supplier want payment through Paypal and again paypal do not provide survice in my country...
So i am interested in yours out-of-the-box thinking and really wish to see the results. I have found the 3Watt RGB led available at a price of US dollars 3.85 and free shipment from dealextreme website. Where you gonna buy the RGB LEDs?
Will you use Arduino?

geometree
06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Fantastic! Are you going to incorporate this into your fountain project? I'm interested in how much of the laminar flow will be maintained if split into smaller streams. I am always excited to see how you progress when you post a new project. Thank you for sharing.

khalid
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Fantastic! Are you going to incorporate this into your fountain project? I'm interested in how much of the laminar flow will be maintained if split into smaller streams. I am always excited to see how you progress when you post a new project. Thank you for sharing.

Hi geometree :)
Thanks for appreciations but this is not my invention, i am a follower of this great project... Introducing a small round fiber optic or cast acrylic rod will not make turbulence IMHO as we have seen many videos on internet....
We can not divide this laminar into multiple laminar stream.. For each laminar jet we need one Laminar nozzle similar like we have posted above...

I am making a small anemometer from a Computer fan motor so that at high wind gush the micro-controller automatically stop the fountain ;).. This will not exactly anemometer but this will be a an experimental DC generator.. We will measure at what wind speed it generate how much DC current and then we will use those DC values to shut-off or start the Fountain..

br928
06-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Khalid - I can't take credit for the acrylic rod idea. It was posted on the other forum you are posting on. Entering the bottom with a standard 1/2" compression tubing fitting seems like the way to go however.

I was looking at the 40W LedEngin LED. Kinda expensive but all three colors are in one package and simplifies the fiberoptic 'plumbing' problem. They are also very bright @ 40W!

Still looking at the LED controllers.

gene
06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I guess that there is a way to bend light :rolleyes:

khalid
06-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Fantastic! Are you going to incorporate this into your fountain project? I'm interested in how much of the laminar flow will be maintained if split into smaller streams.
Yes i will incorporate Lighting and cutter mechanism in this project, may be much more. if you have any other ideas for automation must share with us?
Thanks for posting.

khalid
06-13-2011, 04:44 AM
I was looking at the 40W LedEngin LED. Kinda expensive but all three colors are in one package and simplifies the fiberoptic 'plumbing' problem. They are also very bright @ 40W!

Hi, 40 Watt has hell of power:eek:... You have to make good cooling arrangement...:)

br928
06-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Someone on the other forum has already used the 40W LED. They mounted it to a CPU heatsink that has a built-in cooling fan. Seems like a perfect match.

khalid
06-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi Stan,
I wish to see such high power RGB Led in action:D
i will use ATMEGA 328P chip and make a small PCB that will include MOSFET IRF540 to control the solenoid vale and RGB LED.. it will be a small PCB... I will only use the Arduino to program the chip but not salvage it for this project.

I will use PC power supply to control all the circuitry.
As soon i get the RGB i will start drawing PCB.

khalid
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I have made a small wind sensor from a DC motor of old CD ROM. This DC Motor generate 0.3V at high wind. So i have to use it for my Laminar Nozzle project. At low wind the voltage generated by the motor is little but if wind is on higher side a voltage of about 0.12 VDC the fountain stream can be disturbed.

Did a little programming in Arduino when a DC voltages reaches to 0.12Volts stop the fountain;) and when the voltage below this value ON the fountain... I know you people will understand.. this is not a real Anemometer but with wind it gives us a voltage reading which we can use to start or stop the fountain.

the video:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=megInro0qII

khalid
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
And here is the Cutter mechanism with 12 V Solenoid. Also you can see Pre-Filtration Unit...and a painted modified anemometer...

br928
06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice progress. I understand the cutter is the hardest part.

khalid
06-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Nice progress. I understand the cutter is the hardest part.
Hi Stan,
you are absolutely right the difficult part is cutter mechanism...here is my second successful attempt of making the cutter :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htyuan82eAI

br928
06-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Khalid,

It seems like cutter speed is the key from what I have read. In your video it seems reasonably fast. Make a video of the results.

I wonder if you put the cutter at an angle to the stream if it would cut better without leaving a 'tail'?

Unfortunately to "uncut" the stream cleanly it needs to be an opposite angle. I wonder if you could put two cutters in series, one for cut and the other for uncut and time them with the controller so they would not interfere with each other.

khalid
06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Stan,
Today i tested the cutter.. It cut the water at half and get jammed.. Seems to me the pressure of water stop it moving back and seems it stick to the top plate..:)
I will try to modify the design..any hints?

br928
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Stronger spring. Putting it at an angle might reduce the amount of force the stream is putting on the cutter. That would also deflect the water in one general direction.

khalid
06-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Stronger spring. Putting it at an angle might reduce the amount of force the stream is putting on the cutter. That would also deflect the water in one general direction.
I think i have to search for a stronger solenoid because i have loosen the spring to get the cutter working ..
Are you taking putting the cutter in angle or the spring in angle:confused:
just brain storming to get the thing working flawlessly... No doubt its a difficult part of the project..

br928
06-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Put the cutter at an angle to the water flow. It is square to the flow now, and the full force of the flow is forcing the cutter against the backing plate.

khalid
06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks Stan for the suggestion.. putting the cutter at an angle is very good idea...but before go to the 3rd attempt with this weak solenoid, i have i have to change the linkage position of cutter with the solenoid stem as shown in picture. Then i can use a little stronger spring and will check how it works.. perhaps by tomorrow i will be able to post the results......

br928
06-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Moving the linkage position will give you more force but unfortunately will slow down the cutter speed. It will still give you an idea of what it takes to overcome the water flow.

dana_swift
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
One idea would be to have the shutter not be flat, but able to have an adjustable pitch, just slightly. When the solenoid wants it to enter the water stream have the pitch set so it is drawn in that direction by the water. To exit the water, change the shutter pitch so the force of the water does most of the job.

I have not built one ever, so that is just wild speculation as to what might be an improvement.

I have enjoyed reading your posts Khalid- good work, and thanks for the contributions!

D

khalid
06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Dana,
nice suggestions :) The pitch control of the cutter is a good idea .. Today i have not experimented on the laminar flow nozzle but just drew the circuit for the project. This circuit is based on ATMEL A328 and can control RGB LED, High power devices like Pump(220V AC), Anemometer, temperature sensor. I have added one shift register 74HC595 so that i can use the 8 output to control the lighting of surroundings... (The resistances have yet to be calculated after arrival of the LEDs)

The circuit with all component cost me around 15 US Dollars.

khalid
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
and the etched PCB...I have included the pins for ICSP header.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U43KqHyCDwU/Tf9cCqk3ZMI/AAAAAAAAAZY/UGXuIBxgW8Q/s1600/etched+PCB.jpg

khalid
06-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Here the Anemometer installed:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGyUeY6k08

khalid
06-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Today i completed the controller:)

khalid
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Cut the drums half but they loose the strength and buldges.. So made a strip to reinforce it. It is not my idea but got from the old Wine storage wooden drumshttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Also purchased the pump and tested ..working finehttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Here is the cost:
220VAC Pump Qty:01 = £33 (US $52)
Drums Qty:02Ea : Free from scrap yard
Drum reinforcements: £5.63 (US $9)
wire meshes and installation on other half drums: £13 (US $21)
Foam : £1.88 (US $3)
RGB LED's Qty: 05 ea (Only one shall be used in this project) : US 13.19
PMMA cable (total 30 Ft) 3ft shall be used in this project: £25 (US $40)
CPU processor heatsink with fan( shall be used as LED heat sink) : £ 1.88 (US $ 3)
Controller card with All Accessories: £ 8.14 (US $ 13)
Shall include the cost of digging/installation of the whole system
shall include the cost of making one Laminar flow nozzle

br928
06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Can't wait to see it in action. Looking very nice.

khalid
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Can't wait to see it in action. Looking very nice.
Hi Stan you have to wait long long long...way to go:rolleyes: Today i received the fiber optic cable34 feet long US $44.71+US$ 6.95 Shipment charges.

Another good news is my other drums are ready with double mesh. The mesh is necessary not to spread the falling water. I tested and the mesh did a magic.

Tomorrow the digging/plumbing work shall be started. I think it shall be finish is two days. I will post the pictures.

3 watt LED from dealextreme is still on the way.:eek:

khalid
06-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Actually i am installing two laminar fountains at different locations. Here is some updates of digging work.

br928
06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
How far does your stream stay laminar? What flow rate and pressure?

khalid
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
How far does your stream stay laminar? What flow rate and pressure?
Hi,
The digging work is based on my new 8" diameter pipe laminar flow nozzle... and the nozzle is in the form of pipe:D not started yet... risky digging work but it is my habit now...
i have seen many peoples with 8" pipe they are getting upto 8feet laminar stream...I hope all this digging and piping will not goes in vain..;)