PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Table Ideas?

chiloquinruss
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm looking for ideas for assembly tables. What has been your experiences with size, height from the floor, mobility, surfaces, etc,. What are you using? Are plans available, photos, etc,. Thanks in advance. Russ

ckurak
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Russ,

What are you trying to "assemble"? Knowing that would help us give you ideas.

I build custom cabinetry, amongst other things, and have a 36"x84" table, and a 4'x8' table. Both have 3/4" white melamine tops. I coat them with wax occasionally so things slide around easily and glue doesn't stick to them. Both of my "tops" are mounted on 2'x2' cabinets on wheels so I can rearrange them as needed. The tops are 36" off the floor. This works most of the time. However, if I have a very large box to assemble, it is too high.

So, the answers to your questions need to be specific to what type of work you are doing.

The current tops are just the melamine board, and have started to sag where not supported well. A better design needs to be implemented. So, don't do what I did! :-)

Charles

chiloquinruss
02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Charles - that's exactly the type of answers I was looking for. As you are aware a new botter 'thinks' they know what they are going to build, BUT . . . .

I like the idea of the rolling cabinets underneath and then fastening the work surface to them as a base.

I'm a commercial model railroad layout builder so I know a fair amount about 'stiffeners'!

Question, do you leave the edge available for doing any kind of clamping etc.? I really like the melamine top idea.

Thanks again, Russ

ckurak
02-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Russ,

Yes, I let the melamine overhang the edge. Find the largest (deepest) clamp you will want to use to determine the overhang.

I have too much overhang on one of my tables, hence the sag I mentioned.

One thought, that I haven't had time to try yet, is to build a torsion-box top. This would give me a very flat and stable surface. I could apply plastic laminate for a work surface. But, the sheet of melamine was just faster at the time.

Charles

drodda
02-27-2008, 03:10 AM
I have built 90" x 42" rolling tables for my shop also. I have three of them and they are all built to 1/4" below my table saw height. This allows me to use them as infeed and outfeed for large sheet goods on my table saw. I have 8" casters on them and they are built with three large compartments on each side with dividers to add strength to the tables. They are built entirely out of 3/4" melamie and I added a replaceable top sheet to each table with rounded edges. Got tired of skinning the meat off my fingers while sliding sheet good around from the very sharp edges. The compartments allow me to store eerything I need under the table so the top is clutter free.

john_l
02-27-2008, 07:05 AM
I would like to see pictures of some of these that work well for you folks. Some good ideas here.

scott_smith
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
I used an “assembly table” in a shop last year that the top was about 4’x4’ but it was only about 18” tall. Sounds funny but it was surprisingly comfortable to kneel, sit, or reach over it to build large assemblies.

benchmark
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Russ,

We bought a hydraulic hospital bed it on eBay from a nurses training School and fitted an MDF top, it works really well for cabinet assemble…..just pump it up or down and wheel it around.

Paul

Gary Campbell
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Russ...
We use a few different styles of tables. Most are on wheels of different types. A lumber or wood hauler that goes to the lumber rack and planer etc. is 24" wide by 6' long 36 high with 6 200# wheels. Gen assy carts are 32" by 4' 36 high and have 4 150# wheels. All have bare plywood tops and one that is covered in mica for gluing. The 36" high dimension matches the height of the table saws, shapers and radial arm bench. The mica tops are not fun to assemble on because they are so slippery. A large assebly table that is 4' wide by 7' long and 18" high. It sits on legs with lags screwed into the legs for levelers.

chiloquinruss
02-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow, great ideas. I like the 'same height' as the table saw idea that serves a couple of purposes, but it may be to tall for my assembly table. I will be putting lockable casters on what ever I end up with. Right now it's looking like a 4 x 8 around 24 inches tall for my assembly table, but I think I may also add a table saw height one just for runout, sounds like that would really be useful to have around. I also like the compartment idea but at 24" on my assembly table it may end up as tool drawers. As another poster has requested, any photos would really be a help. Thanks again to this great forum and its open exchange of information. Russ.

drodda
02-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Here are a couple pictures I snapped tonight.

chiloquinruss
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Dave - on your top pix it doesn't appear to have an edge or lip. How do you clamp what you are assembling? Do you not fasten it to the work surface? I visited a very nice ShopBot shop yesterday and his tables all had 'T' track in them and he used all kinds of moveable clamps to hold his work. He did mostly sheet work and not much assembly (at least the jobs I saw yesterday). What I will be assembling will be similar to small cabinets so I may not need to actually fasten or clamp them to the table. Thanks a million for taking the time to snap the photos and post them here. I really like the lower height version and especially the extra storage for all those clamps. Russ

drodda
02-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Actually the 4" edge above the compartments allows me to use clamps on the edge all the time. I also have long clamps that allow me to clamp to the ends if needed. They go from under the frame to the top. I built my first one with the intentions of installing drawers in the sides. However I started storing things in these slots before I got around to building the drawers. So I just decided to leave them this way. I actually welded 2" square steel frames for below each of these carts. Probably overkill but the carts are very sturdy.

chiloquinruss
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Dave - OK I see the 4 inch edge, good idea. I was just looking at the edge and not the whole structure. That 4 inch would really be strong! The stuff I build will not be all that heavy, but as a previous poster says ya' gotta crawl around on these things from time to time!
Thanks again. Russ