PDA

View Full Version : Mid Atlantic Camp ShopBot

angus_hines
06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
I will be hosting the Mid Atlantic Shopbot camp again this year.

So the NEW date for this camp is going to be November 5th !!!

billp
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
We have just sent out e-mail notices about this Camp but I forgot to include the fact that there is no charge to attend...

planman
08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Please count me in for attending this camp! :)

billp
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Charles,
Thanks for the RSVP, we'll add your name to the list of attendees today !

Michael Zanzano
08-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Angus, I will be attending!

wcraigtrader
08-16-2011, 06:10 PM
My wife (Carrie Hafer) and I (Craig Trader) are planning on attending (barring family emergencies). Thank you, Angus, for hosting!

khaos
08-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Im in. :) CU there

angus_hines
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Glad to see so many people are coming !!!! Here's the rest of the details !!!

You can find our shop and get directions by GOOGLE MAPPING :

208 Marsh View Ct Carrollton, Va. 23314

and the HOST HOTEL information can be found here:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?xch=996511107,2hGsTSyJyxcV6TpQhJ7pGpGP 63G7MW2vZXFLLpx6yPyGLdl2jZX6!546943960!13140398287 04&ctyhocn=ORFSMHX

If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me at 3aih at angushines . com

Looking forward to seeing everybody again and meeting those I havn't met yet !!!

jerry_stanek
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't know if I can make it is there a way you could steam it?

angus_hines
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Don't know Jerry a steamed camp is no where as good as fresh !!! LOL !!! See what we can come up with !!!

billp
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
To All,
Due to some "Hurricane Irene damage" to our host, Angus Hines, we will have to reschedule this event. Rescheduling will be based on the speed of Angus's recovery, and we will update you here on the Forum ( as well as sending e-mails to all who have RSVP'd) once a new date is established. We all wish Angus a speedy recovery ( and a shorter flight path...) in the immediate future..

angus_hines
09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
OK long story short Im' not a roofer....:eek: who would have thought !!!

After the hurricane, I needed to replace my chimmy cap and was on my way up the roof when all of a sudden I got struck by a gravity storm. Thus slideing down the roof and landing 12 feet below on my feet. YAY !!! Right NO !!! I ended up breaking both my ankles and crushing a heel !!!

First time in my life that landing on my feet was the wrong thing to do !!!:mad:

Anyway going back to the Doc today to find out about surgery and time frames so stay tuned for re-scheduling updates soon.

Also, depending on the info I get today you may or may not see me at Maker Faire NYC !!! But still hoping to make it there !!! :D

bleeth
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Get well soon buddy. I think your wife may get some good mileage out of this for her blog!!

myxpykalix
09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Angus you were supposed to DROP AND ROLL:eek:

Sorry to hear you were hurt hope you get better soon!

Has anyone heard from Bill lately? I know he lives out that way hope he didn't get blown away...:eek:

beacon14
09-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Wow. really sorry to hear how hard gravity sucked you back to earth. Two broken ankles sounds pretty bad but what other body part could you have landed on from that height without major (maybe worse?) damage?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope Jackie doesn't get any wild ideas now that you can't kick her in the *** for a while.

kartracer63
09-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear this Angus. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

angus_hines
09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
OK Surgery is set for September 16th ....and as is typical thigs aren't as bad as first described by the ER people.
the left foot should be good to go in 4-5 weeks merely a chipped bone on the end of the tibia on that foot.
the right foot is well mangled for lack of a better word, the heel bone, the bone between the heel and toes is split and the top end of every toe is chipped.

So a plate in the heel bone the rest just has to heal on its ow. and after surgery I'll be completely off the right foot for 4-6 months.

However Bill P and I are are looking at a date near the end of October. So stay tuned !!

angus_hines
09-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Surgery went well, and all should be healed and good to go soon enough.

So the NEW date for this camp is going to be November 5th !!! :D

angus_hines
09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Dont forget that this camp date has been changed to NOVEMBER 5th !!! :D

widgetworks_unlimited
10-01-2011, 08:27 AM
What the heck?! I'm away from the forum for a few months and this is the news I read when I get back?

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Also glad that I've mostly stopped doing stuff at height where I'm not anchored in. Sounds really rough.

Just completed the rigging involved to move in a new cnc - 11,000 lbs had to be carefully lowered 10 ft through the floor into the basement. Maneuvering around the 12x12 gaping hole in the floor was bad enough. Getting the hoists attached to the ceiling involved a ladder and scaffold. Thank god I had someone else (John Haggerty) volunteer for the job. :)

angus_hines
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
WOW that sounds like a feat there Russ. What size machine is it ??? @ 11,000 its gotta be a 5x20 or something !!!

So you coming down for camp on the 5 its only a short 6 hour drive for ya !!! :D

billp
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Reminder to all those planning to attend the Camp- please bring something you have created on your machine for the "Show and Tell" session. It's always a great way for ALL of us to learn new tricks.

angus_hines
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
It's only 10 short days away !!! Looking forward to seeing everybody !!! :D

bill.young
10-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Among other things I'll be bringing one of Jonathan Ward's MTM Snap (http://mtm.cba.mit.edu/machines/mtm_snap-lock/build/) milling machines, powered by a ShopBot developers kit and running the ShopBot control software.

bleeth
10-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey Angus-Don't get to excited. We don't want to hear about any more self inflicted injuries.

bill.young
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Angus...it looks like Kevin Gallup will be coming too. Add him to the list

angus_hines
10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
@Bill Kevin is on the list... and the Snap machine will be fun too !!! I gotta build me one of those one day !!!

angus_hines
10-31-2011, 10:59 AM
@Dave Rosenbleeth I would only get that excited if you said you were coming up from FL. LOL !!!

Hey , You doing camp this year ???

bill.young
10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Dave...I woke up to heavy frost on my truck windows this morning. Don't you want to have your camp tomorrow!!!

bleeth
10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
They do Florida after the New Year. So for us that would be next year. Haven't talked to Bill P about it yet but it's fine with me.

Angus-I'm still waiting for you and Jackie to show up for lunch at Dirty Ernies!

billp
11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
To All-
We'll get the day started with coffee/etc. around 8:30 AM , and run until approximately 4PM...We'll have a Shopbot sponsored lunch mid day as well...
If you haven't contacted us yet, please do so ASAP ! Thanks !

billp
11-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I've posted the Camp blog at- http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2011/11/2011-tidewater-va-camp-shopbot/
I'm sorry that my camera decided to stop working after the first few minutes of the Camp, so I don't have the usual amount of pix to show. If anyone who attended has some pix please get them to me, and I will add them to the blog.
Many thanks to both Angus, and Jacqui for having us at their shop/home Saturday !

SterlingDevelop
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
This was the first ShopBot event I had been to. Just wanted to say that it was great fun. The wealth of knowledge was fantastic. I bought a used PRT Alpha machine a while back, not knowing a thing about ShopBots and received no instruction from the previous owner.
It's a good thing I did buy a SB, because I don't think any other manufacturer has the free tech support and an online community of help and the free events like SB. The help has been invaluable.
Angus was a great host, the food was first rate and the schooling from Bill Palumbo was immensely helpful.
My next machine (I immediately discovered the coolness of tool changers) will be a ShopBot.
So, if anyone has a need for a 5x12 PRT Alpha, it will probably be for sale soon!

Brent Green