PDA

View Full Version : Army logo or depart of the army

cowboy1296
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I have tried to down load an eps file for the department of the army which has way to many problems with open and duplicate vectors. i am not even sure that i want to go with a v-carve file and may opt to do it in 3d and still considering my options. those of you who have carved it what size did you successfully carve it so that the letters were still readable and the logo was not too busy. and before i buy the 3d file can someone refer me to a good v-carve file.

at the flea market today i had a lot of interest in army plaques and since i work with wounded soldiers on occasion i would like to have good file that i can work with.

thanks in advance.

myxpykalix
07-03-2011, 03:20 AM
check out vector arts 3d

cowboy1296
07-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Trust me I am very familiar with their website and have bought several files from them. Whether I find a v carve file (eps) or not chances are I will still buy the 3d file. Thanks for the response.

cowboy1296
07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
OK to me this looks good but i am still curious about the minimum size so that the lettering is still readable if anyone wants to comment about their experience. the circle came from from a website posted on here and the 3d came from vector 3d. on the computer it looks good but you pro's tell me what you think about sizing.

myxpykalix
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
my personal opinion, i don't like the way the lettering is chamferred and balloons out. I think you would be better off with Vcarved lettering. It will take less time and in my eye look better.

Having said that if you are set on raised letters then i would cut my letters with a straight bit instead of relief carving the letters with a vbit. You may find you need to use a smaller bit to get into interiors of some letters.:D

cowboy1296
07-03-2011, 09:54 PM
i have not looked at the different ways to do the lettering, this pretty much was my first attempt at putting it together without looking at v-carving the letters. this past week is the first time i did any lettering like that, naturally its new to me, but i sort of like it. of course i can always do some test cutting except for the 3d file to compare it.

my real concern right now is that when i do the 3d cut just how big does it have to be so you actually read the letters.

thanks for your input. when i cut it no matter which way or size i will post a picture for future ref.

cowboy1296
07-04-2011, 05:03 PM
based on your recommendation i looked at a pocket cut and v-carve. after seeing it in vcarve i have to admit i liked it better. pictures were sent to my friend and strangely enough they like it in the original plan. its their plaque and their choice so what can i say but cha ching. i am thinking of gluing oak together to make it but do you have another other experience with other hardwoods that you like for a large wall plaque?

srwtlc
07-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Rick,

I like the less bold grained type of woods, cherry, maple, red alder, walnut (if looking for a darker appearance), and cedar (for outdoors). The thing with oak, whether you put stain on it or not, but especially with stain, the grain has a tendency to distract from the design.

cowboy1296
07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Based on your experience i am steering away from oak, i have lots of black walnut but still waiting for it to dryout.

bleeth
07-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Rick:

I happen to like the raised letter look as well but there may be a machining issue due to the tight spacing. If the "area clear" is done with a v-bit as shown in your render you will have lots of height changing going on in the field and it may not look as good when cut. If you use a small end mill you have a lot of tight corners and close elements that may end up blended together or appear too rounded. You may want to knock out a sample in pink foam or MDF or something before committing to your hardwood.

cowboy1296
07-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I happen to agree with you Dave. As it turns out i have already made a plaque for the same friends with the raised lettering shown in the picture. this is the first that i made for the post and now my file has been edited to make the raised letters bigger which should decrease the depth of cut.

cowboy1296
07-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Vector 3d indicated smaller then 6 inches perhaps a 1/16 inch bit should be used. i am cutting it 8 inches so i should still be good with 1/8.