PDA

View Full Version : Solar Hot Air Heater

myxpykalix
07-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I've just gotten into this whole "solar thing" and after watching tons of youtube videos. I decided to make one for myself. The idea here is that you blow in room temp or cold air from a fan in the bottom baffle.

It circulates thru the cans (all have been siliconed together with holes in tops and bottoms)
The air is heated from the sun hitting the glass and is pushed out thru the baffles in the top as highly heated air. I have seen guys get 220 degrees in the winter from these. Should help keep the shop warm this winter.

Next im going to start on a solar hot water heater for the hot tub:eek:

kevin
07-08-2011, 06:15 AM
I have them in my shop they save me about 8oo a year in heating .Its a smart move but I bought mine and barted for the second one

Brady Watson
07-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice! I've been saving cans myself :)

-B

magic
07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
A. I'm assuming that this replaces a window
B. There will probably never be a folder 16 because this one (15) goes on and on and on

myxpykalix
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
The hardest part of this project was getting all the cans i needed. I don't drink beer so i couldn't contribute. I went down to the city recycling center and they had 2 big long dumpsters full to the brim with aluminum cans probably a hundred thousand cans and they wouldn't let me have a couple hundred. They get .65 cents/lb for them and i told them i'd give them $1.00/lb but the beaurocracy wouldn't do it. :rolleyes:

This one used about 121 cans. 11 rows 11 tall. It is going to go up against the shop wall and a hole for the intake and exhaust will be drilled into the wall. I probably have around $100.00 in this one.

rej
07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
please show a pic or 2 of this installed.
thanks

myxpykalix
07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I have to get a thermostatically controlled fan and figure out the best placement for the winter sun.

Brady Watson
07-08-2011, 08:46 PM
$50 will get you 120+ cans of premium brand soda. Less if you buy 'No Frills' or store brand. I guess you could donate the soda to a soup kitchen with the stipulation that you get the cans back rinsed out. Win+Win for everyone.

-B

mhmslm
07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Very interesting, Jack. Will you be doing any monitoring (in vs out temp, etc.) if it works that good I would also like to make one. I like to stay warm in my shop, but don't enjoy paying for it. Also, will you be posting plans for this, or pointing us to where you found yours? Thanks

Brady Watson
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
This thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13178&highlight=heater) will get you going.

Keep in mind that this is supplemental heat. It does nothing at night. It is super cheap, and effective on sunny days.

In regards to 'covering a window' - this is not necessary. You can install this on the side of a building & port it into the room to be heated. You can also remotely move the air via fans, but then you need power. The best bang for the buck is to let convection currents take care of pumping the air. The larger the collector, the more heat you will gain - obviously. I have seen these angled under a window with the window clamping it shut to make a good seal. This way you don't lose the sunlight coming through the window.

-B

Acmeaviator
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to convert the basic design into a pool heater? Just zig-zag a bunch of copper in the box instead of cans and run a tap line from the filter to the heater and back to the pool...If the wife sees this I can kiss the weekend goodbye:eek:

gene
07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey Jack,
Do you have any plans for a solar ac unit ? Its hot enough here in Ga .
How bout figger out how to do a solar ac one:eek: :D :rolleyes:

mhmslm
07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks Brady. Very interesting and informative stuff.

michael_schwartz
07-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I think I may try putting one of these in one of the south facing windows of my shop. I could see it helping out in the fall or spring when it is still cooler but the sun is much more intense. What do you have to loose when they are quoting $4.50+ per gallon plus a delivery fee.

gc3
07-09-2011, 12:43 AM
wirsbo tubing and all it can do from cooling to hearing.....wrap the small tube around your spindle to heat your coffee

lay the tubing in your driveway to heat your pool, run it under your solar panels to keep panels cool...radiant floor,wall heating/cooling

myxpykalix
07-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Brian,
Here is one link for solar pool heater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHt_2T_Chs

Where i got all my info from for design was youtube, you can find tons of great instruction there:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=solar+hot+air+heater&aq=0&oq=solar+hot+air

Here are some other excellent resources:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimplySolar/

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/
This guy is like the "Mr. Wizard" of youtube, he has tons of great videos

I have a couple of digital thermometers that i am going to set up on the intake and output sides to gauge the heat output. I am waiting for a thermostatically controlled fan to install for the intake. The results will be misleading at this time of the year. The real test will be in Nov. Dec.
edit:
oh yeah, I got alot of advice from Brady which kept me from spending a lot of money and time on wrong things so he deserves an "honorable mention"!:D

Brady Watson
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Liquid is a whole different game. The can/air setup is elegant & cheap, plus a good way to 'try on' this type of technology without breaking the bank.

You can literally go nuts combining different technologies for air and or water-based heaters. From ground source heat pumps, geothermal to parabolic troughs and salt/oil filled heat storage tanks, methane digesters in compost a la Jean Pain...it can go on forever. The most effective system is the one you actually implement...the armchair engineering has to bear fruit sooner or later.

It is possible to heat anhydrous ammonia as a refrigerant using solar energy, but it is highly dangerous. Research & decide for yourself.

Probably the best bang for the buck over the long term is good insulation. I'm currently insulating the out buildings with Tekfoil - akin to reflectix double bubble. It is a radiant barrier & works amazingly well. I'm into it for about $1/SF.

-B

curtiss
07-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to convert the basic design into a pool heater? Just zig-zag a bunch of copper in the box instead of cans and run a tap line from the filter to the heater and back to the pool...If the wife sees this I can kiss the weekend goodbye:eek:

Copper is very expensive and does not zig - zag very well...

Could you just buy a roll of black poly pipe, set it in the sun with a small garden re-circ pond pump and warm up the water that way ?? You could use the Shopbot to cut open the box...

Anhydrous ammonia is far beyond dangerous and is great if you have over 400 acres of corn.

myxpykalix
07-09-2011, 11:24 PM
if you follow some of the youtube links you will see tons of videos for all manner of water heaters from coiled up black poly hoses to very sophisticated contraptions.

I'm trying to think about how will be the best way to keep the water warm by using a pump for recirculation of the water from the water heater to the hot tub and back again and have it thermostatically turn on the circulation pump if the water gets below certain temps.