PDA

View Full Version : showroom cabinetry

michael_schwartz
07-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I built these cabinets for my showroom a while ago but I haven't had a chance to post anything.

The boxes are frameless but with a 3/4" thick banding. Doors, applied fronts, and panels are made from local soft brown maple.

The counter top is 1" MDF veneered with flame birch which I re-sawed on the table saw. I flipped the veneer end to end to give the figure an serpentine appearance along the width of the panel. This particular piece happened to be mixed in with some 8/4 yellow birch I had purchased. I did a simple string inlay from mahogany.

The border is made from some odd pieces of 6/4 tiger maple which I happened to pull out of a bin of 6/4 soft maple, and joined to the top with domino's.

Finish is danish oil and paste wax as I built these prior to investing in spray equipment.

The doors to the left of the picture were made from the same brown maple, with Peruvian walnut accents at the bottom. I added a flame birch panel above the door frame. I almost went and bought an ordinary hollow core door from home depot but I ended up building these for less.

I milled up the molding that wraps around the top of the adjacent window and the door frame on the router table in 3 pieces using an oge, S shaped vertical panel bit, and a roundover. The wood I used for this was another odd length of tiger maple that happened to be mixed in with the regular soft maple, and a badly warped piece of butternut I had that couldn't be used for anything else, but happened to work fine for this.

michael_schwartz
07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
additional pictures

kevin
07-11-2011, 06:41 AM
It looks good .
Where space is pericous I did the smae thing turn the office and lunch room into a showroom.It looks like you can still jam some more things .Thanks for posting not to many cabinet and furniture guys post there work

bleeth
07-11-2011, 08:06 AM
It looks very nice Michael.
Since there has been interest on the forum lately did you do the cope and stick on the Bot?
You need to hide the wiring!! I would make the support leg at the front of the desk beefier and more square in keeping with Shaker/Mission design.