PDA

View Full Version : Help with V-Carve file?

d_m_a_n
07-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Can someone help me with this file?
I'll be using 3/4" thick, or 1" thick cedar.

The bit is a bosch 90* bit.
3/4" wide
edge length is 3/8"

All I need is the lettering setup for v-carve.

Thanks in advance! :o

ken_rychlik
07-14-2011, 06:41 PM
If you need some help you can call me. I am not to far from you, just past Sugarland down hwy 59. Send me a pm and I will give you my number.

First you need to fix the open vectors. Then toolpathing is easy.

Upon closer inspection, you have duplicate vectors, open vectors, and the curves in these letters have hundreds of nodes. It needs a good overhaul or starting over.

What did you use to make the text?

srwtlc
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Looks like it will work after getting rid of the duplicates and joining the opens. May be a bit touchy in cedar with chipping, give it test run. You'll need to edit the part file to suit your machine setup though. Zero is in the lower left corner.

I'm guessing it was made in Illustrator or CorelDraw with an outline or fill on the text. That usually gives duplicates, but....

Take up Ken on the "Helpline" offer. ;)

d_m_a_n
07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I really appreciate y'alls help.

I don't know why the file gets like that when I export it...
I'm using my sign software I bought in 1999 (Inspire Pro by scanvec). I can do 2-D, but not V-carve or anything more complicated.

The SBP file looked good in preview, but I messed up on the original file with the dumb "Quotation Marks".

I'm going to upload another file later on. Thanks again so much for the help Scott & Ken. :)

d_m_a_n
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I've uploaded PDF, AI, & EPS. Hopefully one of these is in better condition than last time.

The thickness of the material is 3/4"

Can I please get a V-Carve file? I only come across v-carving stuff once a year...

Thanks,
Damon

ken_rychlik
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Just doing things for you won't help you in the long run.

There is still an open vector and tons of duplicate vectors.

There are tutorials at

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/vcpro_tutorials.htm

adrianm
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
He's not using Partworks or VCarve though.

d_m_a_n
07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear.
I'm exporting the vector from my sign software... which apparently butchers it for some reason.
I don't have VCarve. I only have the dumpy little software Shopbot sold with the machine. It doesn't do custom fonts in Vcarve...

But check this out, about 4-6 months after I purchase the PRSalpha, Shopbot decides to include the new Vcarve software in the bundle! So now they want me to pay an extra $750 just to "Upgrade" my partworks... Totally not fair. I'm very ticked off at them about this. I wish I could do it over again... because I probably wouldn't.

ken_rychlik
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
So what do you normally use to program your machine? If you have a machine, you need to create toolpaths for it to run right?

d_m_a_n
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
my sign software allows me to create 2d toolpaths.

I cannot create vcarve or 3d toolpaths using my current sign sofware.

thank you.

d_m_a_n
07-22-2011, 05:37 PM
The name of my software is "Inspire Pro" made by Scanvec.
It is no longer supported by scanvec.
They have since made Flexi.
They separated the machining software "enroute" that works with flexi.

Inspire combined RIP printing, Vinyl Cutting, CNC Machining all into one bundle... but it's limited to 2d machining.

ken_rychlik
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Actually without giving you a LOT of info about placement and direction it could be a scary thing for someone else to send you a toolpath.

Do you zero to the bed or to the top of the material? How thick is the material? Where is 0,0 on the sign? There are a lot of variables that need to be ironed out before just loading a toolpath and running it.

Did you try to run the toolpath that Scott made for you?

ken_rychlik
07-22-2011, 06:15 PM
That will be 19.95. :D

Zero to the top and 0,0 is in the center of the sign.