PDA

View Full Version : 3D model won't slice properly

cnc_fabricator11
07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an issue with a 3D model that I'm test cutting. My model has concave sides and I was thinking that if slice it down the middle machining from top and bottom, I should be able to use a tapered ball nose to machine the two halves and then put them together. But, for some reason the slices are coming out simplified without the concave profile. I'm not mistakenly trying to program the router to cut underneath something which is why I'm slicing it in the middle of the concave so that can't be it. The 3D model has been tested and exported from Rhino and SketchUp, so I dont think it's a compatibility issue. And the model has been tested in both PW3D and Aspire. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Patrick

myxpykalix
07-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm a bit confused on your description. As the model sits if you want the sides cut you are asking it to do "undercuts" which it can't do.

When you say you are slicing it down the middle do you mean making a cut thru the diameter so you end up with 2 "half moon" shapes or do you mean you care slicing it horizontally so you have what might look like a double decker cake?

I believe either way you are asking the machine to do undercuts which it can't do.

What i would do is to model the bottom half of your shape, make 2 copys of that and flip the 2nd copy and glue it on top.

(maybe this is what you are explianing but i don't understand) but that seems the simple way to do it.:D

cnc_fabricator11
07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm attempting to slice the model like a " double decker cake" and machining from top and bottom, which is not asking to undercut. I've programmed it to slice it into two halves and machine the top piece upside down, which should be the same as cutting out two of the same for top and bottom as you suggest. Right?

myxpykalix
07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
yes it would be the same as cutting 2 of the shapes i show and turning it over and stacking on top of the other one.

If you want to send me the file with the proper deminsions i can see what is the problem and try to correct it for you if need be.
myxpykalix@hotmail.com

cnc_fabricator11
07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Jack,

I would really appreciate that. I'll send you a couple files of the model tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.

Have good night