PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for fireplace?

Mayo
12-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Our home has a wood burning fireplace which we use maybe only twice a year. It had a shelf built onto the brick surface and I took that off because the plan is to put a big screen TV above the fireplace.

This got me thinking about how ugly the cables would look on the bricks and I didn't want to figure out how to route them behind the bricks.

I thought maybe I could put a 3/4" MDF wall in front of the bricks, and have space between it and the bricks to allow the cables to go there. I would surround the vertical surface (floor to ceiling) and outer sides of the fireplace with the MDF and do something decorative but not grossly ornate with corbels and and a huge mantle.

Is the MDF a bad idea because of combustibility? There really is hardly any heat at the brick surface when the fireplace has logs burning in it.
I've seen other fireplace surrounds made from Corian and I think that could burn also.

Any thoughts or links would be a help.

bleeth
12-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Mayo: Many fireplace mantles and surrounds are made of MDF. Generally all you need between the firebox opening and the inner sides of the mantle legs and crown is around 3 inches of space (brick in your case, although when remodeling many people cover the face brick with tile or stone)

Dave

jdgrahamwaldorf
12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Check with your local building inspector. Most states require a minimum of 6 inches between the opening and combustible materials.

John

Gary Campbell
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Mayo..
Also be aware that some code juridictions require a distance PLUS the projection in the case of at least the mantle. For example, 10" projection mantle can be no closer than 10" (mantle projection) plus 8" (required distance) that means a 10" mantle can be no closer than 18" to the top of the opening. This may or may not apply to the sides also. Echo what John says, "Check with your local Building inspector"
Gary

Mayo
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the info so far!