PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Angles and threading

anothernewbie
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
We are interested in getting a PRSalpha CNC machine. How well would it be able to drill holes into aluminum angles and perhaps cut it into small angle brackets? Is this the right tool for the job? Can it thread the holes with a tap bit?

Gary Campbell
10-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Erwin....
This is one area that makes the ShopBot not the best tool for the job (right out of the box).

That said, if you have a large number of holes to tap, I would mount an electric or air operated tapper on a vertical axis, then do it. These are very versatile machines.

Cutting the angles is best done on another tool.

Brady Watson
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I agree with Gary. You can do limited non-ferrous machining on a Bot.

You can profile the inside of each hole to be drilled with a router bit made for cutting aluminum, provided that the hole is larger than the diameter of the bit. You really can't drill per se with a router into AL without having buildup on the bottom of the bit. A slower turning drill may be a more appropriate tool.

You can tap, as Gary said, with a head made for tapping, but the easiest setup would be to:

1) Machine all the holes on the CNC.

2) Tap all the holes with a tapping head in a drill press.

3) Cut all the angles from the stock using a chop saw with a triple chip blade meant for cutting AL.

I've done this exact process.

-B