PDA

View Full Version : Spiral inside a spiral

myxpykalix
08-28-2008, 11:56 PM
This is a left hand spiral inside a right hand spiral.

its not finished. I think i am going to cut the square off the top and bottom and make something better along with cleaning up the bad cuts (you don't see).

knight_toolworks
08-29-2008, 12:51 AM
you have way too much free time (G)

porscheman
08-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Jack,

That's looking really good. Is that maple inside walnut?? Now I'm looking forward to seeing a hollow inside a hollow..... :-)

Great work.

John

myxpykalix
08-29-2008, 09:27 AM
ambrosia maple inside walnut. The next one i'm conceptualizing is something like a walnut and maple "intertwined" left and right hand spiral.

porscheman
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Did the walnut section start out as a 2-start rope spiral, and then you went back and removed one of the rope starts to create the large "window" in the spiral? What was your reinforcement strategy while making the final cuts in the walnut twisted ribbon - just a tight fitting internal support rod?

John

myxpykalix
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
My hole in the center was roughly 1.5" and i just turned down a piece of scrap to fit snugly in the hole between 2 pieces of plywood on the ends to give it both lateral support and support for the undersides of the rings to keep any vibration and chatter down to a minimum.
After it was cut thru I removed the sacrificial centetr dowel.

Yes it was a 2 start rope spiral and i went back and cut away one of the starts thereby creating the larger opening. That is why the picture is positioned the way it is. You don't see the ugly cut part on the backside. I cut it with a rotozip and you have to cut the wasted spiral in 2 or 3 places to remove it.

myxpykalix
09-01-2008, 10:18 PM
with base and cap added