PDA

View Full Version : I love it when this happens!

scottcox
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
I've been too busy for my own good, so haven't posted lately.

Here are a couple of indexer projects that I wanted to share. These were created with Aspire from Vectric.

If you indexer owners don't already have Aspire, I highly recommend it. It's really made a difference in what I can do with my indexer.

This much fun should be illegal... Oh, it probably is. Sssshhhh! Don't tell anyone.

porscheman
10-31-2008, 01:09 AM
OK Scott, since I couldn't make it to the Jamboree and missed your presentation there, can you clarify and expand on why Aspire facilitates more complex indexer projects like the ones you have pictured?

I've seen Tony's presentation on Aspire at the Ohio Shopbot camp, so I'm generally familiar with the software's capabilities, but I've encountered no indexer-specific elements. So how does it contribute to creating turned objects with carved elements on them?

Any extra details would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

John

harryball
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I've seen several of these pcs in person, very nice. Scott makes me want to get an indexer myself... but one thing at a time.

/RB

randy
10-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Hmm... If I sell my second Z and get an indexer...
Going to have to think about this.

blackhawk
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
I second John's request. Does Aspire allow you to wrap the text around the parts?

scottcox
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Aspire lets you easily create the "flat" shapes that you can then wrap around a workpiece. There's no 4th axis functionality per se, but some great modeling / sculpting tools for creating accurate "profiles" of round objects. These 3D profiles are then toolpathed and those toolpaths are converted to indexer files.

myxpykalix
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
"those toolpaths are converted to indexer files"

but how? using your excel formulations? I bet your shop smelled great after cutting that aromatic cedar. Neat stuff scott.

scottcox
11-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey Jack.

The shop STILL smells like cedar. Gotta love it.

I've gone back and worked with the Virtual Tools some and though it has some limitations, the "Wrap Text from Part Wizard Around Blank" tool will do the conversion for you.

Write a toolpath for a small flat file and try it, then look at the results. You'll see that it converts the Y movement to B movements. This is what I've been doing manually for larger files.

I'm trying to organize all of my indexer stuff so I can create some meaningful tutorials, but find myself first having to chase the mighty dollar just to pay the bills.

myxpykalix
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Scott...
"The shop STILL smells like cedar. Gotta love it"

Kind of makes you feel like a hamster, huh?

Just so i understand what you just said:
"Wrap Text from Part Wizard Around Blank" tool will do the conversion for you"

In your "football" above was that all one file you created (the text) and wrapped it around the football shape,
OR was it a file that included the shape of the ball, the laces, and the text that you then used the "Wrap Text from Part Wizard Around Blank tool" to make the whole thing?

denver
11-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Scott, I'm also impressed, and very much interested in how you created the toolpaths. Since I'm shopping for something to create indexer toolpaths, this is all very timely. Take a look at the "toolpaths for indexer" thread in this section for an example of one of the models I'm currently working on.

I wouldn't mind buying Aspire if I can use it in combination with the other tools I already have to get the job done. Otherwise I'm looking at something like DeskProto.

Thanks,

Denver