PDA

View Full Version : I need a vertical business card holder design

steve_g
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
My wife's new business cards are printed in a vertical orientation. I am curious if anyone has a vertical card holder design that doesn't scream CHEAP! The desk set I've made for her uses Birds eye maple and Mesquite with banding inlays... in other words not plastic.

Here's my first rough idea...

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Steve

srwtlc
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
You could modify this one. Some kind of inlay, v-carve, or 3d on the back side. Maybe a small 1.375" clock insert.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/ugm-bch-2011/bcholder.htm

steve_g
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Scott but the cards are printed vertical and she wants them displayed on her desk that way.

Then again... maybe I could use that idea, just stack more narrow layers... I'll mess with it!

Thanks

Steve

jerry_stanek
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
When you open it you can choose the vertical one.

steve_g
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Jerry

You are correct... I looked too fast!

Steve

srwtlc
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Then again... maybe I could use that idea, just stack more narrow layers... I'll mess with it!

That's what I was thinking. ;)

I believe the "Vertical" layout in the tutorial is just a different layout for scrap usage, so you would have to take some out of the middle to narrow it up and stack up 3 layers or use thicker stock to start with.

I haven't tried these yet, but I did make some changes to the toolpaths for using a 0.375" cutter and adding a shallow slow feed/high rpm clean up pass to give the best possible cut on the inside where it would be difficult to finish sand.

myxpykalix
01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I looked at the pictures out of curiosity and why don't you just take the shapes that are designed to encompass the card laying lengthwise and basically cut just redesign it to "cut out" the center and make the slot the width of the cards standing lengthwise, or shrink the vectors for the center cutout section?

Maybe keep the overall width for stability but shrink the center section

My cut and paste photo editing isn't the greatest but the picture on the right should make my point:D

steve_g
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm leaning toward using more layers and incorporating a photo frame or logo area on one side. I'll mock something up tonight.

Steve

dlcw
01-11-2012, 08:03 PM
You could also cut different layers from different pieces of scrap and stack them. Would make it interesting to have a couple of contrasting woods like bubinga sandwiched between two layers of curly maple. Now that I think about it, I might try that.

steve_g
01-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I think I like it!

4 - 3/4" layers

Birds eye banding are splines at the joints, belt sanded to match body profile.

Vase area could be used as a pen/pencil holder.

Steve

dlcw
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Very nice Steve!

steve_g
01-12-2012, 10:27 PM
My wife has asked for one modification... She's partial to yellow roses...

Steve

steve_g
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
I didn't like the four layer design as too much of the card was in the holder making it difficult to get one out, three layers works great. Also, I had to close up the opening some as the cards could rotate and escape when the stack got thin. The recess on the left was too large, letting the rose or pencils lean too far, making the appearance lopsided.

I'm showing the jig, made on the Bot, for cutting the splines so newbies understand the technique. Use a triple chip saw blade or something with a flat top, I didn't and had to putty them up with Photoshop. I'll fix that for the one Mrs. takes to work.

I'm pleased with the final design, It's a nice size, is very stable and the area left of the cards would make a nice location for a logo or other decoration.

This build up layered technique didn't work well for Birdseye Maple... the cross sections of the eyes is not nearly as attractive as the eyes themselves.

Steve

myxpykalix
01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Steve that is a nice design and a beautiful end product. Good job!:)

rickbw
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Steve - can you post the file you created?

rickbw
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Sorry for the last post - I was only looking at Pg 1 of 2 :eek:

steve_g
02-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Rick
I'm glad you found the file... if you make one/some please post photos, and let us know if you make any modifications that improve the project!

Steve

kartracer63
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
That's awesome Steve!

scottp55
07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks Steve, I missed this one somehow. Came out Nice.:)