PDA

View Full Version : PARTNER

leinadi
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I started my woodworking business in Sarasota, FL, more than 6 months ago as a part time job, hoping that one day I can go full time.I invested 30K,rent 1200 sft. unit, bought all the necessary machines, a ShopBott and built and set up a showroom. But just after, I realized my weakness – SALES – area where I don’t have too much experience, time, connections and enough money to do a good marketing. Today I am still working full time for somebody else. I am an engineer with over 20 years experience pertaining to manufacturing, drafting, CNC programming, engineering, project management (residential, commercial, store fixture, boat industry) in architectural woodworking industry and I am looking for a partner/ associate or any kind of partnership .

Thanks,
Nick

knight_toolworks
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I think for most of us the marketing is the hardest part.I know I can use help there too.

jamesgilliam
12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Marketing is the hardest part without a doubt. The best think I can tell you is to get things you have made into the public eye, or into their hands. I started with small v-carved plaques and a couple other things, and now have done a few larger sign jobs, alot of cabinets, and some research manufacturing for some different people on their projects.

jhicks
12-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Clearly there are complimentary skills required to make a business move in a positive direction. While efficient design and implementation are key requirements, sales and marketing are equally critical requirements.
Not often that a great designer will be a great sales person or visa versa.
So one needs to decide how to handle this but there is a natural catch 22. Sales people focus on winning orders to make a commission or markup and need viable products or services to make their income.
Design and operations folks are generally more passionate about quality design and implementation and not necessairily extroverted individuals but need something saleable to design or produce.
So either stretch outside your comfort zone and require one to get experience where its lacking, or develop a relationship with another person/entity to carry that bag.

Its why specialization and outsourcing became the best business strategy vs verticle integration.

Unfortunately its hard to have one without the other unless you find a better fit as a parts supplier or wholesale to folks who have already made their market and handle sales. Regardless you still have to sell to them to get the ball rolling and juggle the rest at the same time.
The web is a great interface and takes a lot of the "personal sales contact" out of the equation.
No sales no manufacturing. No manufacturing nothing to sell.
Gotta have the skills or structure to make it all happen somehow but don't be afraid to go out and try to sell. Once you get out of the comfort zone and experience a win, you may find a new passion.
Best of luck.

laserguy
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Great thoughts, another thing that can at times help, especially for newer sales individuals is to attend business meetings within your geographical area. For example the "Small Business Chamber" and, "Chamber of Commerce". There are two very good things that can come from it...

1) most everyone there is also a business owner and there to talk about business, great to make contacts with people that will possibly spread your name when a friend of thiers is looking for a contractor for what it is you do. Use the first meeting to watch, get a feel for what others are doing. Take business cards and offer them if asked.

2) Being in an area with a lot of people that are talking about sales with each other will probably loosen you up and make you feel more comfortable about the sales aspect of your business and this will in turn hopefully allow you to take that enthusiasm beyond that room to other business prospects.

Best Wishes, and happy sales!

Mark

chodges
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
All you gotta' do is make a product that people can't live without - they will find you! Problem solved.

Seriously though, we share the same problem with you, and our most beneficial approach has been to limit ourselves to a niche, then target just those prospects that might be interested in what we do - versus trying just any work we can get.

Our niche happens to be signs, and we try very hard to be the "go-to guys" for anybody who needs a sign: we specialize in this one (range) of products, so we can concentrate on perfecting our production techniques and knowing all the rules "ADA, etc." for making sign jobs successful.

Yes, we do occasionally take work that is outside the scope of signs, but only because we can see a "fit" with the skills and equipment we use every day.

If you try to be everything to everybody, you really can't focus on efficiencies - instead, you will be "re-inventing the wheel" on every job, and your profit won't be where it should be.

Hope this helps!

beacon14
07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
that's good advice and that's exactly why I DON'T do signs....

carlhopkins
07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
My two cents
I have pondered the partner route also.
I always come back to the fact that this is more of a craft and I am not a salesman either. I build custom cabinets, mostly for homeowners not builders. I don't even waste time with any adds. My work is the best representative their is.
So we are limited somewhat there, however the rewards are great.
If one wants to "run a business" this may not be for them as most of us are just craftsmen.
My wife has a friend that started her own computer consulting. She worked long hard hours for others and realized she could do that for herself and reward herself as well.
We had a case some 20 years ago where one partner got greedy and had the other killed, hacked up with an ax even. I would think long and hard before I partnered up.
Sorry to go on so much, God bless.
Carl

kerri_b
07-31-2008, 06:02 PM
As I am starting my business, it interests me to read your post. I agree that your work is your best sales representative there is and you need to get your product into the public's hands and eyes. Participate in as many home shows, crafts (although I know what we do is not "crafty")shows, remodelers etc. It is hard when you have a "real" job and you are trying to get your own business up and running. I also have some health issues that may force me into early retirement from my "real" job and free up some time for me...
As always, God bless
Kerri

carlhopkins
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I am assuming Kerrie that you are refering to my rant.
I have been so blessed in my venture that I am not a good case study for "business".
I was laid off literally 4 times after 9-11, and even quit one temp job.
I had 2 kitchens sold before I had my power turned on, a third before the first was installed. I have drooled over cnc since IWF-06.
Thanks to Dan Dunn now I have a shopbot. I have 3 active jobs, have had as many as 5 at one time. Good size jobs to up to 25k kitchen and bath. I am currently bidding several.
Anyway my story is be where God wants you and let him pay the bill.
carl

kerri_b
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Yes, He does pay the bill when you are where He wants you to be. I will also be sandblasting (etching)glass, mirror and such. I have my first commercial project (blasting the conference room doors at the newly renovated fire department) and the foundation is not even dug on the shop yet! I am thinking that the two ventures (glass etching and shopbot) will work together hand in hand. It surely will be fun to find out!
God bless!
Kerri

mike_craft
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Carl...I like the way you think....be where you need to be and the rest will follow....God does have a way of putting us in the right place.

Thanks for the wise advise,
Mike

wberminio
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Consider a business partnership as a marriage.
Not only do you have to get along,you BOTH have to be willing to invest
not 50/50 but 100/100 %

A broken partnership could be as bad as a broken marriage

rcnewcomb
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Rather than a partner have you thought about offering a very high comission to a sales person? Perhaps someone who is already calling on builders, contractors, architects, fireplace installers, etc?