PDA

View Full Version : Flexible material

Marion
02-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone could think of a durable material that could be used for an outdoor application that can be machined flat and then wrapped around a curve of about a 2' radius. The material would need to be 36" tall and 1/2" in thickness, durable and paintable. I have done similar projects with blue foam but it damages too easily. Any thoughts?

gc3
02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
maybe this ?

http://www.newwood.com/

garyb
02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
"Bending ply" available at most major timber wholesale suppliers.
plywood with the lamination's layed up in on direction especially for radius work
Gary

myxpykalix
02-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Gary,
I was going to mention that he could make his own bendable plywood by kerfing it himself but since he said it was for an outdoor application I didn't think it would work.
(edit) I think you are talking about something different...

knight_toolworks
02-12-2012, 01:44 AM
sintra may work. dibond would be a choice if it was not so thin Most plastic would work too. wrap them and use a heat gun and they would stay bent.

steve_g
02-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Possibly a higher density sign foam, machined, kerfed on backside, kerfs filled with gorilla glue, bent to shape?

Steve

CNYDWW
02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Been looking into playing with this. Heat forming PVC trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ753N-OOe8

This vid shows Kleer brand that i like the best for quality but most of the exterior PVC trim boards can be heated and formed like this.

Regards
Randy

Marion
02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas and input. Depending on the flexibility and machineablity the Newwood looks to be about the best idea. I may give the folks a call and check on the flexibility factor. Also if it is available in my neck of the woods.
I do not believe ply would hold up in an outdoor application. And the size I wish to work in is 36" tall, and a 24" width wrapped on a 2' radius. I have never worked with PVC sheet goods. I have read about some folks using them for vac and spoilboard applications. Any idea how well they machine, how about flexibility. It would take quite a set up to be able to heat a piece that large if heat was needed to bend it.
Always enjoy hearing ideas and suggestions.

woodworx
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I can ship you NewWood. I have a truckload in-stock. You can kerf the back, or if you heat it to 220" it will give you all the flexibility you need. Email me: jrank at hardwoodind dot com

CNYDWW
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas and input. Depending on the flexibility and machineablity the Newwood looks to be about the best idea. I may give the folks a call and check on the flexibility factor. Also if it is available in my neck of the woods.
I do not believe ply would hold up in an outdoor application. And the size I wish to work in is 36" tall, and a 24" width wrapped on a 2' radius. I have never worked with PVC sheet goods. I have read about some folks using them for vac and spoilboard applications. Any idea how well they machine, how about flexibility. It would take quite a set up to be able to heat a piece that large if heat was needed to bend it.
Always enjoy hearing ideas and suggestions.

I miss read your original statement. 2 Feet not 2". Heating something that size and getting it on to a form? Big big job. It mills great in my experience accept for a slight grainy texture left due to the expanded cells. There would be the possibility of applying a relief cuts then using a heat gun to aid in the bending.

gc3
02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Justin, PM sent concerning the shipping of newwood...

letterman7
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Newwood will probably be your choice here. Thin PVC (say 3mm) will make that bend easily but will also crack when it gets cold unless you heat bend it. Thicker PVC (6mm and up) will bend with kerf cuts and an application of heat. It, too, will have a tendency to crack in colder weather if not heat set. SignFoam won't bend in any major radius without shattering. What's the application?

waynelocke
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
You could make a form of the shape that you want and glue up a panel with layers of 1/8" exterior or marine grade plywood in a vacuum bag. Use titebond III and the panel will be strong, waterproof and paintable.