PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 8 Buddy table and spoilboard

Charlie Iliff
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I am about to mount a 4 x 8 table on the powerstick for my Buddy. I see in prior posts that Brady Watson recommends MDO support board and high moisture resistant MDF for the spoilboard. Brady, I'll go with those if I can find them, glued together, as you recommend. (I usually screw the work to the spoilboard.) I've had a little warping with the original factory MDF table with low-quality MDF spoilboard scewed to it. (The Bot is in a woodstove heated steel quonset hut, with a lot of openings to outside air.)

My thought for the big table is 1" MDO and 3/4 MDF, but I'm concerned about the weight. Has anyone had good results with 3/4 MDO or other 3/4 ply as the support board for a 4 x 8 sheet Buddy, or is one inch the minimum?

Brady Watson
02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Charlie,
Harbor Sales (harborsales.net) has both MDO & Medex in 4x8 in Baltimore.

Did you get the outboard supports for the table when you bought the longer powerstick?

-B

Charlie Iliff
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks Brady. I don't think Harbor Sales still has a Baltimore facility. They scarfed a 12 foot panel for me twenty-five years ago for a boat that my son and I built. They're now in Sudlersville, on the Eastern Shore. I'm a registered customer, and should have checked their website before posting about trying to find the panels.:o

Based on what I see on their site, I only save 15 lb. by going to 3/4 from 1". The table and spoil board will be 200 lb., which will load up the Buddy's table movement, but I hope not too severely. I'll go back to the smaller table after a couple of jobs where the 4 x 8 is needed.

I did get the outboard supports when I bought the machine. I haven't tried them, yet.

Charlie

Brady Watson
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
They're now in Sudlersville, on the Eastern Shore.

Yep...and still deliver overnight to me for free...I just look at an invoice & noticed it came out of 'Sudlersville'...but just figured it was near Bmore...

-B