PDA

View Full Version : SuperZeroplate where is Input One on the Buddy

kwaldron3435
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Hello,

Have had a Shopbot buddy for sometime and a SuperZeroplate and just now getting around to using it...... ( have several more larger cncs).

Question: the SuperZeroplate says connect the plate to input one..... I don't know where this is. I bought the buddy used and don't have any kind of manual and the Super zero doesn't say what I'm to hook it up to..... can one of you experts please help.

Thanks, Blessings.

Kevin

Brady Watson
02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Download the assembly manual here: AssemblyManualPRS.PDF (http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SBDocs/SBG00319090824PRSAssemblyBinder.pdf)

Input 1 is in the control box all the way to the right - blue terminal screw strips. Make sure run the wires properly through the control box and apply proper strain relief if you have a control box that looks like a computer case via zip ties.

-B

kwaldron3435
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Brady,

Thank you very much...... controller does look like a computer.

We'll tackle this tomorrow.

Couple of other question; is there a simplfied Shopbot interface that doesn't have all the bells and whistles ...... ( we are using Rhinocam for generating our cam / g-code and don't really want to see all the programing things at the machine. One employ will use this machine for small one tool parts pulling from stored files. One more question..... Is there a way to pull up stored offset positions for xy and z (new 0,0,0) for various parts based on pre-determined positions on the table. )

Thanks and Blessing.

Kevin

steve_g
02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
is there a simplfied Shopbot interface that doesn't have all the bells and whistles

Is this what you're looking for? Pushing the button shown in the first photo results in the simplified interface shown in the second.

Steve

Steve M
02-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Brady,

Is there a way to pull up stored offset positions for xy and z (new 0,0,0) for various parts based on pre-determined positions on the table. )

Thanks and Blessing.

Kevin

The easiest is to create a "start position" file for each cutting file. This file would position the machine at the cutting file Zero after referencing the limit switches. The "start position" file would then reset the current position (after moving to the start position for cutting) to Zero for cutting.

You can include all the above at the start of the cutting file if you want to avoid the mistake of calling the wrong "start file", but this assumes that you will only be running the cutting file once after positioning.

garyc
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Kevin...
You can use the VO command to apply a temporary (file duration) offset. The offsets can be applied to X,Y,Z. See the Command Reference (under Help Menu)

srwtlc
02-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Is there a way to pull up stored offset positions for xy and z (new 0,0,0) for various parts based on pre-determined positions on the table. )I've set up a 'Work Offset' system that will save a location, go to a location, or return you to table base coordinates. It's set up for four locations, but you could make it for as many as you would like. I don't bother with the Z axis as each location may need to use a different cutter, but you could do that as well. It can be set up with just a couple of files and called up with a custom cut # or with a toolbar as shown (a bit more work, but handy). This works well with a zero fixture as you can easily/accurately set up numerous locations. Once set up, you can move between any location with one button click.

If anyone is interested, I can provide the files and some instructions.

As for your zero plate connection, if you are replacing the SB supplied one, just hook it to that one. If you just use it temporarily, use a alligator clip and clip it to the SB one when you use it. No need to run another wire to the control box.

kwaldron3435
02-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I'll explain a little more.

Typically what we do in Rhinoceros/Rhinocam is position our part starting index point to 0,0,0 ( we always work negative ) .... When we send the file to the router our other machines allow us to store postions on the table at anywhere we like with 0,0,0 at this new location.... and we have these stored from 1 to 200 poistions in a library on the machine interface ( we do have to home to begin but from that point we can use our positions ). When we start a file we simply pull from the library the position on the table that has some storage number and that we have a fixture setup or we will be fixturing from, load the file and we go.

Scott it sounds like you have a program that we could use that is similar to what we are now doing. We would for sure be interested if you are willing to share.

Enclosing a file for you guys to see what we are doing. The parts we want the Bot to run are not this complex but same idea. ( We don't mean the Bot want run the files..... but many of these files require a number of tool changes and more z height than the Buddy has ....... Some of our small parts take a lot of time.... not necessarily hard but lots of contours etc. )

Blessings,

Kevin

adrianm
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
I do something very similiar on my machine.

All my files are generated with x,y at 0 set to the bottom left of the material. I have jigs on the main table (I use up to 6) and I they are always positioned in the same place with dowel locators.

When I first installed them I worked out where the bottom left corner of each was by aligning the ShopBot to 0,0 using the C3 command and then moving manually and making a note of the co-ordinates.

Now whenever I want to cut a file with that particular jig I just move to those noted co-ordinates by running a simple SBP file for each (you could just as easily type in a J2 command) and then load the file making sure that I specify 2D offset in the fill-in page so that the current co-ordinates are treated as zero.

I keep meaning to write another little SBP to automatically move to the correct location and load the file with the offset option set but I never get round to it as I'm so used to typing the commands in.

srwtlc
02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Ok, had a few requests, so bear with me here as this may get a little long winded and if you don't quite understand some part, just ask, and I'll try to explain it more.

Attached are the pertinent files.

Unzip them and rename the 'CustomX.sbc' to what ever Custom# you want to use that's not already used, X being that number, and place that in the C:\SbParts\Custom folder. Place the folder 'WorkOffsets' in the C:\SbParts folder. This part alone will allow you to use it through the Custom Cut menu or with C# with # being what you renamed it to (for example, I use Custom9). This provides for four locations to be saved or goto and return to table base coordinates. To use, first do a C3 and home the machine, then position the machine to where you want a work offset to be either manually or with something like the zero fixture. Then issue a C# that calls up the 'Work Offsets' with # being the number you named the file to or choose it from the 'Cuts' menu list. Follow the prompts to save and to what position (1-4). Set up other locations in the same manner except that you don't have to C3 home the machine each time. So just move to another location and run the 'Work Offsets' again. Once you have a few set up, you can goto any of them by answering the prompts for goto an offset. You can also go back to table base home.

In order to set up some buttons, you need to rename the CustomX1.sbc - CustomX4.sbc files to custom cut number that are unused and place them in the C:\SbParts\Custom folder (I use custom cut 14-17 for my four). Start SB3 and right click on the toolbar and choose 'Customize'. On the toolbars tab, make and name a new one and a new toolbar should come up, possibly below the main one, and you can drag/drop that to an open area somewhere to the right of the main toolbar buttons. Then on the commands tab, select the command from the categories list called 'Cuts' and then choose a command, 'Work Offsets 1-4' in this case and drag it to the new toolbar. Once the button is there, you can right click on the button and choose to edit the name or edit the button image to make an icon. The icon creating part is a bit buggy and you may not see the tools after opening/closeing it a couple of times (they just go black) and you may have to close SB3 and start again. One note here, if you haven't created the custom cut files and put them in the proper folder, you won't see them in your custom cut menu and they won't be available in the toolbar command list.

If you want more than four offsets, you need to add those lines to the 'CustomX.sbc' file and also make more of the 'OffsetX.sbp' files in the 'Work Offsets' folder. If you need more number buttons like the four shown on my toolbar, then you also need to make more files like the CustomX1.sbc - CustomX4.sbc files.

To make a button that goes back to 'Table Base Coordinates' (TH on my toolbar), the file named 'CustomTBC.sbc' needs to be renamed to another number that is unused (example, Custom18.sbc) and another button made.

I know that this may sound a bit confusing, but it does work. There may be a more elegant way of doing it, but I haven't taken the time to do so. The worst part is setting up for the buttons and the way that files have to be assigned to them causes the need for more files to have separate buttons.

Now that you're totally confused, have fun! ;)

kwaldron3435
02-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Scott,

Thanks so much.... understand the concept.... will just have to play with the text..... and the program to get it to go where we want.

Blessings, and thank you so much.

Kevin