PDA

View Full Version : Austin camp thru yes of 11 and 9 year old

Markm1960
02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Mark McMunn, and I attended the Austin Camp yesterday. This was my first Shopbot Camp, and because the wife was at a retreat I brought along my two sons, 11 and 9 years old. We came up from San Antonio.

I thought my boys were bored most of the time, and I thanked them for behaving as they endured this adult gathering for several hours. We had to leaver right after lunch to get back to San Antonio.

On the way back I was just driving along I-35 south when out of the blue my youngest starting talking about creating a 3d perspective by taking digital photos from several angles as he had seen demonstrated by Santiago. My older son chimed in as to how exactly a 3d finish is created from a metal tool that has a very small point: "'does'nt that take along time he said?" I had no idea that they had even listened to any word that had even been said during the morning presentations, because they appeared to be bored out of their minds. You can imagine the delight I felt when they opened up about the days experience.

Anyway it probably helped a lot when Gordon gave the boys a couple of the wooden toy cars that had been made on the Buddy on Friday. That really piqued the boys interest, and I think that is what really changed their boredom into interest. Thanks Gordon.

Well folks it just goes to show that your kids can be listening when you think they are not. Looks like the next generation of Shopbotters is coming up.

Thanks to all of you who made this event happen, and I hope to be there again next year.

jhedlund58
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Good for u dad.... very special when the kids grow and take to your interests. Even better when they start using the tools.. not just woodworking, but accepting a challeng and doing the best you can. I making my son a guitar... he's in high school and said dad i don't care how it turns out... i'll play it.

cabnet636
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
i really enjoyed reading this,, my daughter is 14 and has been designing in aspire for two years, far more advanced than I !!

MogulTx
03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Mark,

I missed seeing this post.

Your boys were very well behaved and it is great to know that they also took something away from their visit! Good for you, and good for them!

Monty

lalogiagorral
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Mark
Please let me know if they need some help