PDA

View Full Version : Indian Head-Buffalo Nickel Bank

mtylerfl
03-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Hello,

Here is the February 2012 project I created for Aspire 3.5 owners. It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/2012/02-feb-nickel/nickel.html

Experience a taste of “Western Americana” with this unique coin bank! The bank was inspired by the original design of the “Buffalo” nickel which was released in the United States in 1913. The coin bank project comes complete with supporting project files and a printable PDF document detailing the process step by step. The project is compatible with Aspire 3.5 (or newer versions) and measures 10" in diameter by 3" thick, the coin-access base is approximately 1.5" tall.

Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 3.5 software.

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

I used the following bits...
Roughing & Cuts: 1/4" EM
Finishing: 1/8" BN
Scoop: 1/4" BN
Divots & Drills: 1/8" EM*

* the cutting length of the 1/8" EM should be at least .77”
or the included Alternate_Bank_Rings.crv3d file uses a 90° V-Bit instead, if you don't own a 1/8" EM

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Indian Head-Buffalo Nickel Bank sample made from Select Pine:

• Two coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat

• Applied 2 coats of Sculpt Nouveau Silver B formula, followed by 2 coats of Sculpt Nouveau Smart Coat clear Satin, then a coat of black wax. The wax was wiped off to highlight the carving details. (NOTE: No clearcoat can be applied over the Sculpt Nouveau wax...the wax is the final coat for the coin)

• Minwax English Chestnut stain #233 on the Base and several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss (on the Base only)

mtylerfl
03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
At the Aspire Camp hosted by Jim McGrew this past weekend, Ryan Patterson (from ShopBot and Cabinet Parts Pro) surprised us with his own version of the Indian Head-Buffalo Nickel project.

He made a smaller version carved out of aluminum on a ShopBot Desktop system. The detail was AMAZING! I only took this one photo of the full-size one I made alongside Ryan's aluminum version. I'm hoping Ryan has some better photos he can post, to do it more justice.

MogulTx
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
WOW!

I have downloaded the info for the wood version- but am very interested in bit, feed and speed for the aluminum... That sounds like tons of fun! Was it tumble polished after or how was it finalized?

MGM

joe
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Mike,

Handsome work. The skills you fellows are show is amazing. It doesn't get much better.

Joe Crumley

Ryan Patterson
03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Here is a little better pictures. I used a 1/16” ball nose cutting at 3” per sec. 14,000 rpm. A roughing pass would not be needed if you profile around the drawn objects first. Without a roughing pass the cutting time was about 1.25 hours. The 3D files were cut in ¼” aluminum and the center was ½”. I used epoxy to glue the three pieces together. Sanded the edges with 120 and finished with 400 wet. I did no sanding on the 3D. The total diameter is 3.75”

myxpykalix
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't think that nickel is going to fit into a vending machine anywhere:rolleyes:
Looks Great!

michael_schwartz
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the details on the finish schedule used with the Sculpt Nouveau. Very creative.