PDA

View Full Version : Space required for PRT96

ron_cleaver
01-22-2001, 11:50 AM
I'm a prospective ShopBot user. I've spent some time looking at the web site and reading messages here. One basic question that isn't answered anywhere (as far as I can tell) is this:

How much space do you need to install a ShopBot PRT96, i.e., how much floor space, and how high a ceiling?

davdallen
01-22-2001, 03:26 PM
to install or use?

for use, you'll need the the work area plus at least 2 feet on one end and 4 feet on the other. you'll also want at least 2 feet of clearance on the back side and room to move comfortably on the front (4 to 6 feet?). that's about 10X12 or 12X12 of floor space. some get by with less and accept rubbing against their tool as compensation.

to install, you'll need about twice as much room in order to spread things out.

da

Gerald D
01-23-2001, 12:10 AM
This subject discussed 3 weeks ago. Search on "ceiling"

ron_cleaver
01-23-2001, 07:09 AM
I found the discussion about ceiling height. According to one person the height needs to be somewhat less than 87 inches. But it depends on table height.

So, if I were to use the steel table with the PRT96, does that number of ~87" still hold true?

The floor space is about what I thought. I gather it wouldn't be convenient to operate if the ShopBot were placed in a corner, i.e., close to a wall on 2 sides. Or is it not just inconvenient, but impossible to use in a corner?

Gerald D
01-23-2001, 08:06 AM
Ron, I happened to be the "one person" that you are referring to :

The configuration of the steel table does change from time to time, and I really don't know how high it is at the moment. My setup measured 2200mm, but my table has already been superceded. However, if you are really desperate for an inch (or six) extra space, you could saw the legs off. The only snag I see with this is that the loop of cables may start to drag on the floor.

The protruding cable carrier can also be removed and replaced with a lower profile arrangement - maybe you can use your low ceiling to carry the cables?

If your table is tight into a corner, you could crawl over the job to clamp it down - the table is sturdy enough (unless you weigh . . . lbs!). Shorter legs may even be useful for this.

davdallen
01-23-2001, 08:14 AM
most of the height is used by the wire guide for the Y axis. if you replace that with something like an energy chain (see archives) you could loose 18 to 20 inches.

one end could go against a wall. if you set it up so that the wires came off of the front, you'd only have 8 to 10 inches of overhang off of the back side for the motor and carriage. that would make maintenance, service, setup, and adjustments very difficult, but it could be done.

if you're real concerned about floor space, get some heavy-duty pulleys and hang the frame from the ceiling. you could put heavy benches on the floor, under it, and use them as saw horses or workbenches then lower the table when you want to use the shopbot. depending on your ceiling, you may need to cut a hole in it to accomodate the Z axis. if done correctly, you should only loose about a foot of height when it's lifted.

da

Gerald D
01-24-2001, 01:37 AM
An example of "energy chains" can be seen at:

http://www.igus.com/echain.htm

ron_cleaver
01-24-2001, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the insight. I think I'll make sure I have adequate floor space and ceiling height, rather than trying to operate in a sub-optimal mode.

Does anyone know the height requirement with the current steel table?

davenadeau
01-25-2001, 09:12 PM
Ron,

The machine is about 64 inches high without the wire guide in place. That is measured to the top of the Z axis with the table leveling bolts extended a typical amount (raising the table with the bolts would add no more than 1-1.25 inches). With a standard wire guide on a typically configured machine, the top of the guide at its highest point will be 88-89 inches from the floor. As the others correctly pointed out, you could reduce the height requirement by modifying or replacing the wire guide, but my measurements on a current steel table tool here suggest that no modifications would be necessary in a room with a 89-90 inch ceiling.

ron_cleaver
01-26-2001, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Dave. The ceiling height where I want to install the ShopBot is 92 inches. Looks like it will work.