PDA

View Full Version : Squaring procedure clarification...

geneb
10-12-2007, 10:45 AM
To Mike Richards:

Mike, you posted this bit on how you squared your X car:
"What I've done is to set two combination squares so that when each side of the gantry is butted up to the blade of the square, the gantry will be square."

How do you manage by yourself to hold both combination squares and jostle the x car around? Are you clamping the squares in place or?

I was using Frank's suggested method of the stop-block move trick, but either one of my blocks has moved, or the car wasn't as square as I thought it was when I adjusted the 2nd block.

tnx!

g.

richards
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Gene,
My gantry is 3/32-inch out of square, so with the power OFF, I just pull each side of the gantry against its respective pre-set combination square. Then I turn the power on. So far, with this method, everything squares right up.

Since posting my method, I've switched to using Frank's stop block method in combination with my combination squares. Because I'm overly cautious, with the power off I normally just pull the gantry against the stop blocks, turn on the power, and then check the gantry with the squares. So far, Frank's method has been 100% accurate for me.

geneb
10-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Like I said, I'm also using Frank's method, but I've got mine screwed up somehow and I need to reset the blocks.

I want to make sure I've got the car square before I move the blocks again.

Do you clamp the squares to the rail for the initial alignment? One to each side of the X car, or one to either side?

Ex.

. = square

Like this:

.---------------------.

---------------------

or like this:

.---------------------

.---------------------

A pic would be great if you can!

tnx Mike!

g.

fleinbach
10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Gene,

My method to initially square the X car to the table goes like this. First I cut my spoil board along the X axis. This gives me a parallel X reference. Next using the A Square + B Square = C square I lay out a square line on the table along the Y axis. I clamp a straight edge along this line. Now with the control box off place a 1/4" or 1/2" rod in the chuck of your router/spindle. Gently push the red against the straight edge. Now moves the Y car across the Y axis and determine if the Y car is paralleling the straight edge. Next move the Y car to a place near the "o" point along the straight edge and clamp this side of the x car.
Now move the Y car to the other end and when the rod is along the straight edge clamp this side of the X car. Now turn on the control box and after the motors power up remove the clamps. Now your X car is square to the table. Remove both stop blocks and carefully move the X car toward the point where you want them to be located. Attach both blocks against the gears.

This was a bit rushed since I need to leave for a while. I will check back if I missed something or need to clear it up.

geneb
10-12-2007, 06:59 PM
The only question I have is about the "o" (the letter "o") point. Where is this point?

Let me try to summarize this to make sure I'm on the right track.

1. Cut a line along the X axis - full length of the table, or? Close to the edge, right? Shouldn't matter at this point whether or not the line actually parallels the table edge.

2. Using A2 + B2 = C2, create a perfectly perpendicular line to the groove cut by the x axis and align a straightedge along it - clamp the straightedge down.

3. Align the tool/test bit at the edge of one end of the straightedge, probably the "lower" left corner. Clamp the X car in place on that end.

4. Slide the Y car down to the other end of the straigtedge and align the bit/test bit with the straighedge. Clamp that end of the X car and activate the motors to lock the X car in place.

5. Remove the stop blocks on the "home" end of the 'bot and unclamp the X car. Carefully move the X car to the point where you wish your stop blocks to be.

6. Re-attach the stop blocks against the X car pinion gears. This is now the home "square" position.

7. If you've got proximity switches and you use them to zero the X & Y axes, update the figures used to find zero - by moving the stop blocks these figures will have changed.

Is this correct?

Thanks Frank!

g.

fleinbach
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
That was a typo "o" should be "0"

Yes, You cleaned it up for me but I believe your statement in 7 is wrong. There is no bearing between the stop blocks and the zeroing using the prox switches. The stop blocks should be at the end of your table just slightly past your prox switches. Mine are about 1/2" past the prox switches. You use the stop blocks to square things up when you turn on the control box and energize the motors then you manually move the tool to the other side of the prox switches to do the zeroing routine.

richards
10-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Gene,
I've been out of town since early Friday afternoon. Sorry.

If you do exactly as Frank recommends, you won't need to use the combination squares. But, if you decide to use the squares just as a way to verify that your machine stays square throughout the day, then set up one square to check the X=0, Y=0 corner of the machine and the other square to check the X=0, Y=48 corner of the machine.

geneb
10-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Frank, you're correct about step 7 being unnecessary. I don't know why I put that in as it's obviously wrong.

The method outlined didn't work as I was unable to clamp the X car tightly enough to keep it from moving. This was because I was unwilling to risk bending any of the parts by using a really cranked down C-clamp to hold it in place.

I was able to get the car square however.

Here's how I did it:

I placed a 3x5 card at each of the four corners of the table and "reset" the bot against the stop blocks and prox zeroed the machine.

I then used my laser edge-finder and a sharp pencil to mark the cards at 1,1 95,1 95,47 and 1,47. I then measured the diagonal distance between the marks on the cards. I'd then adjust one or the other stop-blocks by 1/8" or so to get into the ballpark. It only took three or four cycles of this to get the diagonal measurement the same in both directions.

Thanks for all your help guys!

g.

fleinbach
10-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Gene, There are many ways to do this and you appear to have found a method that works for you.

As for clamping the X car I should have explained how. You need 2 clamps per side. On each side just slide a block of wood against each edge of the X car wedging it so it can’t move.

geneb
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Hehe. Makes perfect sense Frank, thanks.

g.