PDA

View Full Version : Computers and power supplies

danhamm
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
The power went down here yesterday, when it came back on my computer didn't. It was dead as a doornail.. so I removed it from its cubby hole and took it downstairs, pulled the power supply out and removed the housing and found the fuse it was rubber protected and it was blown, so I bypassed it and blew the line breaker..
I built the computer about 4 winters ago when the quads AMD 940 were coming out as I had placed the order with NCIX and recieved it prior to christmas, afew days later got a email saying to not post anything online as they were under a NDA and were not to be shipped for awhile yet.
At the time was playing around on Xtremesystems as they were overclocking and nitrogen cooling the new beasties to see what could be had from them.. it was 30 below here so Iput mine out for extreme cooling and got some pretty neat results, didn't beat the nitro cooling but put some pretty good scores up.
when I pulled the computer apart yesterday it was a mess inside, I clean all the shop computers regularly but this one has gotten missed, the fan on the power supply was choked with junk and the case fans ran but barely..I had to blow out the power supply with compressed air just to find the parts..BAD...it has 2 video cards in cross fire and water cooled cpu, the original PS was 1000 watts the one I picked up at staples only 700.. so down to 1 video card..don't know if I can survive that way...

Brady Watson
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you need a DirtBag (http://dirtbag.biz/covers/tower.html)

-B

danhamm
04-26-2012, 04:52 PM
What a good idea...could use about 5 of them...I have some fibreglass matting..looks like that...Hmmmm.