PDA

View Full Version : Rose Carved Disc Vase - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello,

Here is the April 2012 project I created for owners of the current version of Aspire 3.5 (and future higher versions). It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/projects/2012/05-apr-wooden-vase/wooden-vase.html

This is an easy wooden vase project that allows room for your own custom adaptation, or you can use the design as-is. Insert silk or dried flowers and display on a shelf or table with your choice of which side is visible (it’s reversible!).

The vase features a carved recessed dish containing a stemmed rose model on one side and a sleek, smooth dome on the other. The included rose model can be replaced with a suitable model of your choice, or create your own in the current version of the Aspire software!

The completed project dimensions are about 8" wide x 6½" tall x 1¾" thick. Another option is to cut out two (or more) middle sections to increase the interior capacity and yield a thicker vase than the original design.

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 3.5 software.

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

• Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!

I used the following bits...
Roughing and Finishing
1/4" BN and 1/8" BN

Profile Cuts
1/4" down-spiral EM

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Rose Vase sample made from Maple and Spanish Cedar:

• Three coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat

• Three coats full-strength Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat, then wet sanded with 400-grit and 600-grit wet/dry sandpaper after the final coat

• Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss