PDA

View Full Version : Rust issues?

davidallen
05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
anyone on a coast have any problems with rust? I'm thinking of moving mine to a boat (below decks, not topside) and was wondering about the problems with ocean air.

the electronics I can enclose and protect, but the motors and gears I'm not so sure about.

tia

da

billp
05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
David,
As you've seen I'm ten miles from the coast and haven't had any issues with rust,pitting, etc. I think what you want to do is feasible if you were to really coat the exposed parts with some sort of film like white lithium grease. Then when you are not using the 'Bot wrap the motors in bags with elasticized mouths and filled with a shot of CRC or some similar preventative..
The gears on a 'Bot are not too much different than the linkages on self steering and auto pilot drives, so I think with the same kind of maintenance you'd be fine.
Now if you could figure out a way to use a jet ski as a dust collector I think you'd have one hell of a marinized ( marinated?) unit...

artisan
05-20-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm 1.5 miles from the ocean and have my machine indoors. Much like Bill....I've seen no rust....D

chamcook
05-20-2004, 08:45 PM
I can throw a frisbee from my front lawn into the ocean and ditto.
David