PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wrong to ask...

crash5050
05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
If anybody has partworks files for some furniture? I am needing to build a dresser, check of drawers, a hutch...I basically have no furniture for my new home, and I want to build it all. I have a 24 x 48 inch machine.

Anything that you might be willing to lend out, would be appreciated.

Crash

zeykr
05-21-2012, 07:39 AM
I use Ecabs for my dressers, chests of drawers etc so those files wouldn't do you any good unless you have the link. You might take a look at cabinet parts pro, inexpensive and a good way to make that type of furniture.

steve_g
05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
David

Can you be a little more specific about what you want? Is "Dresser, chest of drawers, a hutch" a description of three pieces of furniture or the functions of one? Tell me more about your Bot... Is 24"X 48" your bed size? Another challenge perhaps, but... we're creative here! Looking through my stuff and doing a quick thread search didn't turn up any likely candidates, but if we have a better idea of what you're looking for I'll bet we can come up with enough ideas to get you going... A group designed furniture line... Platypus furniture!

Steve

khaos
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Platypus furniture!

Do you have clearance from the spousal tower to land this bird? Does she have any input? As you know if you can get her buy in life will go way easier. No spouse? Even easier. :rolleyes:

Table/skill saw? or any other tools? What do we have to work with here?

Lets get crackin?

steve_g
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
This idea seems like too much fun to ignore!
So to get this started...Here is a rough rendering of an idea rattling around in my brain.
It's a seven drawer dresser that stacks up like barrister bookcases, no component is larger than 16" X 36". As drawn, the assembled carcass is roughly 16 X 36 X 50. I've never built a dresser and have no idea if this is reasonable. The sub units are hooked together with connector bolts, feature dust shields between units and have center guided drawers. Also the sub units are modular and can be put together in different configurations.
I used 1.5"X.5" box joints in my drawing but know there are likely better construction methods used by others... I also assumed .5" Baltic Birch but realize other materials may be appropriate.

This is wide open for suggestions, comments, critiques and totally new ideas. The only limitation is it must be fun!

SG

paul_z
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
David,
The bot would be great for decorations and such; however, you could (and probably should) use a table saw for most of the work.
I'd also suggest using kreg screws (with glue) for the carcass and drawers. I've made drawers using 1/2" baltic birch and kreg screws. The drawers are incredibly strong and look great. Attaching a face after the drawer is mounted in its slides makes it easy to get "dead on" accuracy.
Paul Z

chiloquinruss
05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I think an all Bot set would be interesting. I have saws, but anybody can do it that way! :) I need some under tool filing pieces and so the outcome of this 'challenge' could not only be fun but could get me those cabinets that I have put off for too long! :) Russ

crash5050
05-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I have a 24 x 48 inch bed without a vac, I use rails and clamps when i can and screws when I cannot. I am a total noobie when it comes to furniture, I can make a sign, or a set of hanging grapes and what not, but I have this problem with square....square eludes me when I rely on the table saw or the skill saw.

Oh, what I meant to say was that I need a dresser or two, a couple of chests of drawers, and a hutch, well the wife says we need them. So my choices are CNC or FFO.

David

crash5050
05-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I am waiting a bit and am going to buy a 48x96 alpha. Once I get that e-cab link, then it is game on. I am retiring from the military in a few months and need a hobby/job. Question though, does the new bots come with the energy chain, and all of the proximity/saftey switches?

steve_g
05-24-2012, 12:06 AM
OK... I'm going to continue with my stacking chest of drawers idea.

Someone want to take on the other units?

Paul... you mentioned Drawer slides. Is this the way drawers should be done rather than using a center friction guide?

I'll make the drawers with a flush hand hole face for garage use with the option of a screw on decorative face for Mrs.' unit.

SG

steve_g
05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's my idea so far... I've spent a good deal of time modeling and assembling components in SketchUp. That's one area that PartWorks/Aspire falls short... I wanted as few different parts as possible and yet make it impossible to assemble incorrectly. All parts are self aligning and squaring. Assembly should be easily done with a mallet, glue and clamps...short of using furniture clamps a pin nailer will do fine.

My research shows that a standard chest of drawers/dresser can be any where from 24" to 60" wide in 3" increments, anywhere from 14" to 18" deep, and heights all over the place but generally 30" to 60" tall. This design falls right in the middle of those dimensions and will be very easy to modify. My design has 1" of space behind the drawers so you can make the drawer faces flush rather than overlay if you want... The faces apply over the drawer box face just like a kitchen cabinet drawer. The face is where you can go wild with your own creative designs! The back has an option to have a paneled look... I did this as I'm thinking about using the basic unit as a modular bookcase or even some other wild ideas I'm playing with. My plan is to use connecter bolts between units, up through the 1/4" dust shield into a brass insert in the framework of the next unit.

Any suggestions?

SG

crash5050
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Now for the cool part. if you can lay those parts flat in sketchup, you can create the g-code for them, I am not sure if a shopbot will read just plain old g-code or not. but there is a plugin for sketchup to create gcode, it is called sketchucam from the phlatforum. http://phlatforum.com. Registration to the forum is required.

David

steve_g
07-19-2012, 05:20 PM
David
The bot should handle the G code fine... I'll have to investigate the phlatforum! I tend to take on projects like this while recovering from surgery... next is a new hip in a few months. If you or anyone else wants to run with this before I do, I'll gladly provide any work I've done to date.

SG