PDA

View Full Version : Search results

sbd1
06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
I love this forum & all the helpful people that contribute to it, but I'm having a hard time finding posts with my searches.

The problem is when I search for something like 'toolpath bit size', I get 'The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: bit'. Or a search for 'part file z axis zero' I get 'The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: z, zero'.

So because some of my important keywords have been omitted from the search, the results are not accurate. I have tried using tags, but there are no tags for bit, router bit, or even toolpath so I don't see how they help.

Could someone please tune me in?

ssflyer
06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Here's where Google is your friend - from Google search for something like this: toolpath bit size site:talkshopbot.com

BTW, this search got 811 matches from the forum, so try to be as specific as possible!

The "site:talkshopbot.com" tag tells Google to only search the forum.

Hope this helps!

steve_g
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I learned something today... Thanks Ron!

SG

sbd1
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks Ron, that's very helpful.
PS. I only got 810 results ;-)

cowboy1296
06-06-2012, 09:07 AM
for more then 2 years now i thought that it was me who could not search right. what a helpful tool, thanks Ron.

garyr6
06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Sure enough, just when you think you know it all, somebody on the forum comes along and shows you something new. Thanks. In addition I think I can use the idea else where.

ssflyer
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I use it on a lot of forums, as a lot of them offer less than stellar search results! ;)

rustnrot
06-06-2012, 03:13 PM
On one of the forums I frequent, it has Search This Forum via Google as a drop down choice under the Search button. It does the same thing Ron says and would be a nice addition to this forum.

jdervin
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM
In addition to Ron's Google tip, here are a few others that typically work in any given search engine -- including the Forum and Google:

Put quotes (") around words or phrases
Use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard
Use AND, OR, or NOT
Use parentheses to form complex variations
Note how different the results are if you type the following combinations into the Forum search engine:

"toolpath bit size"
"bit size"
(toolpath OR bit) AND size

sbd1
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the tips John. I don't do a search regularly enough nor are they all the same, so I forget the proper syntax to use sometimes. Kinda like programming your VCR. Remember those?

I've recorded your tips in Evernote so I'll never forget now!