PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna build a boat (i think)

CNYDWW
06-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I say I think because i wont know till i get to the store, still on the fence. What i've done so far is taken a simple stitch and glue canoe and scaled it for use with a small 8ft pontoon boat. Basically i'll use two sheets of AC ply to cut the parts to make two 8ft by aprox 16" pontoons and attach with a frame.

myxpykalix
06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Have you seen that scarfed joint Bill came up with? Not sure i grasp your description but if you need to glue the joints together this might be something useful.:)

CNYDWW
06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks jack. The scarf joint is a bit much for 3/8" ply. It's just a toy to float down the Mohawk on weekends till it breaks. It's basically a flat bottom canoe. I ended up getting a hold of some old scrap cdx that'll work for a "prototype"

Brady Watson
06-16-2012, 10:18 PM
If you are going to build a boat...make sure you have the tenacity to actually finish it. I've still got a weekend dingy that is sitting up in the pallet racks that needs a few more little things + paint to make it ready. I started it over 5 years ago...and there are a bunch more boats that I know of that botters started an never finished...Kinda sucks when it stares back at you and asks when you are going to finish me!

Stepped scarf in 3/8 is no problem. The boat I put together uses 1/4" marine ply for the sides and it has a 6" stepped scarf on each side to get over 8'. Your spoilboard needs to be dead flat and your numbers right to make it all right, but when it is done correctly it makes for one wicked strong joint not possible with other means.

-B

myxpykalix
06-16-2012, 10:22 PM
In case of leaks, whatever you do make sure you take along your
"water-let-er-out-er":rolleyes::D

Ajcoholic
06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I have built several cedar strip/fiberglass canoes, and one stitch and glue kayak a few years back. The cedar strip looks better, but the stitch and glue makes a light, super strong construction when glassed on both sides.

I have dreams of making a wooden runabout some day. Not any time soon though.. I know the canoes and kayak took me about 60 hrs each. A boat would be a lot more time I would think.

But they make very interesting projects. Make sure you post pics if you go ahead!

AJC

myxpykalix
06-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't know if you might glean anything from certain techniques or building ideas here that you could adapt:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pintail-Duckboat-build-log/?ALLSTEPS

bleeth
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Randy:
A canoe design can be modified to work for a small pontoon but the basic pontoon shape for a slow moving platform is so simple it might be easier to do it yourself from scratch. The main thing that could be a bit of a challenge is the whole weight distribution and flotation aspect. You don't want too much captive air keeping it so high it doesn't handle worth a heck and you sure don't want the pontoons going down too low!
Unless you plan on having a pontoon that really moves fast under power just about any entry lines work and you don't really need a canoe back end. You do need a closed top and a flat top is a heck of a lot easier to put your deck on than the usual canoe shape of the gunwales.
I've seen designs as simple as a torpedo shape tied together with a deck to highly sophisticated v-hulls that get up on plane and fly with a whole darn houseboat up there.

CNYDWW
06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't know if you might glean anything from certain techniques or building ideas here that you could adapt:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pintail-Duckboat-build-log/?ALLSTEPS

Thanks Jack, been over all the instructables already. Been a busy weekend but i cut parts for two pontoons out of some old scrap cdx. More for a trial run then anything.

myxpykalix
06-17-2012, 09:32 PM
well along with your life jacket make sure you take your "water-let-er-out-er":rolleyes:

CNYDWW
06-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Randy:
A canoe design can be modified to work for a small pontoon but the basic pontoon shape for a slow moving platform is so simple it might be easier to do it yourself from scratch. The main thing that could be a bit of a challenge is the whole weight distribution and flotation aspect. You don't want too much captive air keeping it so high it doesn't handle worth a heck and you sure don't want the pontoons going down too low!
Unless you plan on having a pontoon that really moves fast under power just about any entry lines work and you don't really need a canoe back end. You do need a closed top and a flat top is a heck of a lot easier to put your deck on than the usual canoe shape of the gunwales.
I've seen designs as simple as a torpedo shape tied together with a deck to highly sophisticated v-hulls that get up on plane and fly with a whole darn houseboat up there.

What i was planning on doing was to leave the shape however it came out and add two bulkheads and cap off the center with canvas and resin to seal it up. Using each end for a bit of storage. The parts i cut at 9" high at the center and if i'm right it would be fine for floating downstream on an easy day. I was actually going to make a steel tube frame to go between the pontoons and attach a regular plastic boat seat. Add a couple foot pegs or bar and be done with it. Much like one of these

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek-Company-Sport-LT-Pontoon-Boat/711972.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=creek+company+pontoon&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&Ntt=creek+company+pontoon&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

This boat (which i ordered today when i found the sale) is what i was going after but for this price i don't think it's worth the effort to go through making the boat myself.

Here are a few pics of what i was playing with.

CNYDWW
06-17-2012, 09:42 PM
well along with your life jacket make sure you take your "water-let-er-out-er":rolleyes:

Yeah sure thing jack, i've got a couple right here in the shop:D

genek
06-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I like the canoe you were making better... Would you share the design in dxf...
If so send it to eking1953@yahoo.com.. I have a brother in law that teaches school and he has been wanting one...

CNYDWW
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is where i got the PDF for the design.

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

genek
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks will try this..

space67
07-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Have you tired this?
Must be the best free Kayak software ever

KayakFoundry (http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html):D

crash5050
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I just gotta figure out how to get this thing out of the basement. !

Ross Leidy
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Have you tired this?
Must be the best free Kayak software ever

KayakFoundry (http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html):D

That's my site and software, so thanks for the kind words. KayakFoundry is really geared toward strip-built kayak designs, and you really need a couple hundred hours to dedicate to building one, not to mention the space. Fun winter project, though.

http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/whiptail/wt_peterborough9hdr.GIF

curtiss
11-02-2012, 10:29 PM
....I'm gonna build a boat (i think)

I think Ted Hall said that once, and just "built a bot" instead...

crash5050
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I just gotta figure out how to get this thing out of the basement. !

Ask Gibbs, he got his out of the basement and sailed it to Mexico and gave it to Mike. Durn thing came back with 3 dead bodies in it though, so watch out.

bcondon
12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Built the Shellback Dinghy (Joel White designer) from Wooden boat store . Purchased plans and book and went to town. It was an excellent experience because everything wasn't square and got to solve a whole pile of problems!

Great little boat!

Bob Condon

khaos
12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
... got to solve a whole pile of problems! ...

And there is the 'is it worth it' litmus test for botters. lol :D