PDA

View Full Version : Bricks

genek
06-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Has anyone ever engraved on bricks with a cnc... The ky 911 memorial committee just called.. They want my company to do the bricks.. With the names on them... I have a meeting with the committee this thursday... I have never done anything like this, i told them this but the still want my company to do this... Need help.....

kubotaman
06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Just a thought. Is it possible to submerge the bricks in a plastic container so they are always in the same spot that would be the zero cornor? The water level would be slightly over the upper level of the bricks. To eliminate splash upon entry of the bit maybe a flat plate of plastic could be installed on the spindle or router. Water would eliminate heat and then you would just have to replace the bits. I am sure it would be hard on the bits but I would think it is doable. Just some thoughts.

billp
06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Does it HAVE to be "bricks"? Could you build a mold with "moveable type" ( reversed of course) that you would then pour some colored cementacious (sp?) product into? That would save a lot of time, and wear and tear....

genek
06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
At this point i am up to try anything... What got the committee wanting my company to do this is one my reputation of doing good work. Two. They say a wall i did for another group, where i used granite tile. But there i used the laser to engrave the names and faces... I explained to them i had never done brick, i have done some rock but again that was with the laser... Who ever they talked to about me over did the comments on my work.. They think i can perform miracles. They would not hush till i agreed to come and look at the job and try it.
I am thinking on maybe cutting stencils and sand blasting not sure. Yet... Or use a diamond tipped bit.

harold_weber
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Thee is a guy in my town who does this, he has done literally thousands of bricks. He makes his own stencils, uses a sandblast cabinet and a 5HP 2-stage IR compressor. He beats the bids of the local gravestone maker, who has heavier equipment.

genek
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Mr. Weber where is your home town...

harold_weber
06-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Um, just as most other folks, my home town is listed at the top right of my postings, its 68 miles north of Louisville on I-65.

bobmoore
06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I used to have my guys route glass once in a while on a komo with a ceramic bearing spindle. Brick shouldn't be any harder than glass (I think glass was 7.5 mohs hardness if I remember correctly). Check with the brick supplier for the hardest component in their bricks. If it is less than glass I can help walk you through the process.
Bob

supertigre
06-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Depending on the wattage of your laser you can engrave the brick with that as well. Email me if you want the particulars.

gene
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I think the best way to do this is with a stencil and sandblasted . you could get a drag knife that is on this forum and cut the stencils on the bot

danhamm
06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I guess the question needs to be asked, "what kind of bricks" I have used a old carbide v-bit on cement bricks with decent success, and also on sandstone bricks, old baked clay bricks are probably way to hard to grind out.
I have used the laser on rocks and bricks, it marks nicely but doesn't penetrate, its a surface darkening..I have a spindel which I can turn down quite slow, which helps...

genek
06-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Still not sure what i will end up doing... Checking on bits that cut granite... Granite will be harder that brick.. I have a spindle..i could run feed rate and speed slow plus use co2 to keep bit cool. I use co2 from time to time to do something else.
Time will tell on this project.

bobmoore
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
You need diamond bits for granite and water cooled (you can cover your spoil board and hand spray). I have carved granite on a router with a spindle. Try a company called C.R. Lawrence, they have a good selection of bits for routing , drilling, and ect. They actually specialize in the glass industry so hinges and everything for glass doors and windows.
Bob

jerry_stanek
06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
You have the machine that will cut sand blasting stencils I would go that route.