PDA

View Full Version : Electrical use

steve_fedor
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I have a building separate from my residence w/ 100amp service w/out a separate meter. I'am looking to get rough idea on how much power a PRSalpha w/ a 2.2 HSD spindle will consume. My rate charge runs 8.5 cents per kilowatt hour.

aaasigncom
03-23-2007, 10:11 PM
YOU HAVE ENOUGH POWER FOR YOUR SHOPBOT 220 COST 1/2 AS MUCH AS 110. BUT CONSIDER IF YOU HAVE A VACUUME HOLD DOWN. ALOT OF PEOPLE USE 2 FEIN VACUUMS AT ABOUT 15amps EACH = 30 AMPS + A GOOD VAC FOR YOUR DUST, ANOTHER 15 AMPS. IF YOU USE COMPRESSED AIR FOR BIT COOLING OR MISTING OR JUST BLOWING DUST, ANOTHER 15 AMPS. A SHOP FURNACE, ANOTHER 12 TO 15 AMP BLOWER MOTOR. + YOUR COMPUTER STUFF 5 AMPS. WHILE YOUR MACHINE IS RUNNING YOU WILL WORK ON OTHER STUFF. OPERATE A CIRCULAR SAW, ANOTHER 15 AMPS + YOUR SHOP TV AND OTHER STUFF. YOU DO THE MATH I UPGRADED MY HOUSE FROM A 200 AMP SERVICE TO 400 AND BRANCHED OFF THE THE SHOP WITH 200 AMPS. FYI A GOOD WELDER REQUESTS A 100 AMP SERVICE. HOPE THIS HELP YOU IN YOUR SHOP PLANNING. TONY - INDIANAPOLIS, IN AAASIGN.com

aaasigncom
03-23-2007, 10:19 PM
P.S. MOST 100 AMP PANELS HAVE 15 AMP CIRCUTS BREAKERS WHICH MEANS 12 RUNNING AMPS, 15 SURGE AMPS MAX. ON A 20 AMP CIRCUIT,16 RUNNING AMPS. ON A 30 AMP CIRCUIT, 22 RUNNING AMPS. AND YOU CANT JUST PUT IN LARGER BREAKERS. THE WIRE SIZE HAS TO BE UPGRADED TOO. WHEN YOU GET HEAVY LOADS ON SMALLER CIRCUITS, YOUR HOUSE LIGHTS WILL FLICKER OR DIM A BIT WHEN YOU TUEN ON A 15 AMP MACHINE

ed_lang
03-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Not suggesting anything. This is what I have done.

My shop is about 300' from the main panel in the house. I ran underground cable from the house to the shop and installed a 100A breaker in the main panel for the shop. I run a 50w laser engraver and control computer, laser printer, lights, 5HP cyclone, 2 Feins for hold down, 4HP HSD spindle and the shopbot all at one time without trouble. There is also an air compressor that might kick in from time to time as well as an electric water heater and propane furnace. Other hand operated tools or the table saw 5HP, might also get used while the rest of the shop is running.

Check with your electrician for help with this.

Ed

beacon14
03-25-2007, 11:55 AM
My house has 200 Amp service. After getting a quote for $8k to upgrade to 400 Amps, I followed another electrician's advice and put in a 100 Amp subpanel to run the shop. I run the ShopBot, 2HP dust collector, the edgebander (30 Amp circuit), all the lights, and the 7HP compressor simultaneously all while the shop and house both have air conditioners running. I've never even blown a circuit in 3 years.

pfulghum
03-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I had my power company just run a seperate meter and supply line from the "junctin box/transformer". I did the excavation and ran 2" conduit, set the 200A panel. After rough in electrical inspection, I call the power company to place the line in the conduit and set the meter. I know have another 200A of fun. The cost outside my own electrical work was $4.25/ft for idaho power to set the line and meter. I also get hit with another $4/month "meter charge", but I get a seperate bill.

-- pat