PDA

View Full Version : PRS Std Buddy wiring questions

bahed
10-21-2007, 02:48 AM
I am attempting to wire my 5 hp, single phase Colombo spindle up and I am not finding what I am looking for in either the included or on-line (Colombo Spindle) documentation.

For example: I have a brown insulated wire (black and brown wire inside) that is hooked up correctly in the VFD, but I can not find the matching FWD or DCM terminals inside of the Control Box as directed.

Secondly, it mentions to run my black wire (4-wire power chord) from my VFD to my Control Box - now I know better. This should be going into a 40 amp 2-pole circuit - right ? I'm starting to doubt myself here.

Lastly, I have 3 separate grey insulated wires coming from my motors along with the Wago clips. One has red tape on it (black-brown-blue wires inside), one has blue tape (black-brown-blue wires inside) and the third has no tape (green-black-red wires inside). Ok, I realize that they are related to the motors but where do they go ? The documentation says nothing about them, unless the one with no colored tape is a proximity switch.

I would wait until Monday and talk to tech support, but tomorrow (Sunday) would be SO NICE to get this thing wired up.

Any help ?

Brady Watson
10-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Bret,
You are reading documentation for a PRS Alpha. There no no provisions for wiring the spindle to the control box on a Standard tool. It's Alpha ONLY. So your 1st and 2nd points are not applicable to the PRS standard.

Your last issue, the wires are for the proximity switches. Red is for X, blue is for Y...I don't recall what the non-marked ones are for, you'll want to check the manual.

-B

bahed
10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Any idea on where I am supposed to hook up the brown insulated wire (black and brown wire inside) inside of the Control Box that comes out of the VFD ? That wire is the only small wire that comes out of the VFD - if that helps any.

Yes, the red and blue taped wires are for the proximity switches and the third (unmarked) is for the Z zero plate/digital probe.

I will comment on the manual that I received by not commenting on it !!

Gary Campbell
10-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Bret..
I am guessing that the wires you ask about are the cooling fan wires for the spindle. On my PRSalpha with HSD spindle, the cooling fan wires went to a 24v DC power supply in the control box that had open terminals for them. make sure the fan blows top to bottom.
Gary

Brady Watson
10-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Bret,
The brown wire is meant to go to the DCM FWD terminals in an Alpha box. Just wrap up the line or disconnect it from the VFD. You don't need it. Colombo spindles don't require a seperate power supply for the fan. The spindle is good to go the way it is, just hook the power pigtail to a disconnect switch and you're ready to go.

-B

bahed
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Bingo..

I was trying to hook up a gently used spindle that was once employed on an alpha system - hence the extra wire. I found the documentation that I needed to see where all the little wires went on the ShopBot website (that should have been included with my new PRS Standard Buddy) and all is now well.

Thanks