PDA

View Full Version : Camps and Training

billp
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
CampShopbots and Training
With the Fall Camp “season” coming up shortly I have been receiving a number of inquiries about Camps and I thought I should take a minute to explain a little about what they are, and aren’t.
Camps are NOT the same as Shopbot “training”. In training classes the emphasis is on the actual Shopbot machinery, and the use of software to make your Shopbot perform specific functions and processes. Shopbot offers a two day training in Durham, as well as online training on a monthly basis-http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/training.htm
If time does not permit you to attend these sessions a trainer can come to your shop/business and do a direct one on one training on your machine ( call Shopbot for specifics).
Various software vendors also have training and user groups available as well, and information on their training can be found on the web pages of the software package you are using. We do NOT do software training at Camps. This is because there are now many different software packages being used by Shopbotters, and each user has a different skill level. It would hardly be fair for someone to travel to a Camp and sit there while we explain “X and Y” to a novice, OR on the other end if we went directly into “sculpting” 3D objects to those with more specific applications in mind.
Camps are geared more towards the “applications”side of things. We get into various ways that people are using their tools to create a variety of products, and we try to address the specific concerns of those who attend each Camp. We will speak about certain machine topics such as maintenance, or certain ‘add-on/after market’ accessories.
And we will on occasion do some cutting at the Camps as well ( this varies depending on the shop we are in, and the type of work our ‘host’ usually engages in..).
Camps are also a great opportunity to meet other Shopbotters so you can in turn develop a network of your own for future personal/professional development. If you don’t want to cut 3 dimensional signage, but occasionally get a request for this type of work, you can now ‘ delegate/refer’ the job to someone who specializes in that area, and vice versa. It’s also a good chance for people to learn who is located near them in the event they ever need a bit of assistance ( OR a bit…) when they find themselves in a jam.
And then there’s the “ Show and Tell” which is usually the highlight of many Camps! We ask people to bring in something which they have made on their machine, and then explain HOW they created it. We don’t ask that you give away any trade secrets, but some simple explanation of what you did to be able to turn that blank piece of material into a part/design/ornament/tool, etc, would be great.
We discuss HOW you might use your Shopbot in a business application, and if you are already doing so you can hear from others how THEY have been able to keep their doors open in the current economy.
So in summary, each Camp is different, depending on WHO attends, and WHAT their interests are. We do not TRY to be “training” but people always seem to learn a lot in the process of being there. Plus where else will you find a group of people who are actually interested in HOW you spend all your time with your machine ???
For specific questions you can always contact me at- campshopbot@gmail.com
If there’s not a Camp scheduled in your vicinity contact me and we’ll see what we can do…..