PDA

View Full Version : Installed Cheap Chinese Spindle

waynelocke
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I recently installed a cheap Ebay 3000 KW air-cooled spindle on my PRT. I used an Hitachi VFD in lieu of the Chinese version. All told with the $3.60/ft cable, collets and wrenches the cost was under $800.00. It is quiet though not as quiet as HSD and Columbo spindles which I have been around. It is considerably quieter than a router and does not have the high frequency whine. I have used it only a little but it is a vast improvement over my Milwaukee router. The cooling fan is attached to the armature so that may account for the noise.

I'll see how long it lasts. The spindle came with no wiring diagram or instructions and the ground prong in the plug was not attached to anything so I had to ground the spindle to the plug.

It sounds, feels and cuts great.

I also added an IGUS chain on the X axis and added four vee bearings to the z axis. My machine has never cut better.

danhamm
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I have been running the same unit for a 1.75 years, have abused it after I bought a spare, have run it as slow as 2k the only time it ever got warm was ripping 3/4 ply in one pass with a 3/8 upcut.

taskins
08-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Wayne-
Which one is it exactly? Are you running it on 3 phase or single phase? Is it a 2 pol;e or 4 pole ?

Thanks
Tim