PDA

View Full Version : Rail Dent

kenz
07-24-2007, 07:28 PM
My x-car jumped the rail on my PRT Alpha and put a dent in the x-rail approximately 1/4" long and 1/16" deep. Is there any way to fix it?

I guess I could weld it, but I'm worried about warping. I thought about using Bondo also, but I wonder if it would last very long.

Brady Watson
07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Ken,
Personally I would weld it & blend it. You can use a MIG torch and weld it 'cold' to minimize heat. (That means lower amperage and faster wire speed to give a parabola-shaped bead) In all reality, you are just going to be welding for a second or two...basically caulking. If you are really worried, use some thermal paste to keep the heat at bay...but I think that you'll be fine welding it as long as you clean the area and take the powder coating off with a grinder. Otherwise it will catch on fire...ask me how I know...I've repaired rails before by welding. Just take your time and clean, clean, clean down to bare metal before you weld.

If you don't want to weld, something like JBWeld epoxy can be used if left to cure long enough. It really isn't a permanent solution and it will sag over time as the wheels wear it down.

-B

kenz
07-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks Brady.
The JBWeld is a good idea. I might try that first.