PDA

View Full Version : Buiding a new table, what do I use to seal the plywood?

shilala
07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm going to put the 6' Power Stick on my Buddy and use a couple sheets of 3/4 Baltic Birch plywood for the table. It's been suggested that I "seal" the plywood,which makes very good sense to me in that my shop is not climate-controlled and I live in Ohio near the lake.
I'd like to get the sheets sealed today, I wondered what would be a good choice of "sealer"?
I have some waterproof deck stain on hand, lots of interior latex paint, or I can go buy whatever I need.
I was just looking for suggestions on what you guys may have used, or what you've heard of guys using.
Thanks!!!

Ajcoholic
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Scott,
If you look in the Buddy section of the forum, I have a thread on my 5' by 5' (for the 6' powerstick) MDF table I built for my buddy.

WIth the extra hold down rollers I added on, it has been superb! We get a lot of variation in RH from 90% in the summer (now) to less than 30% in the middle of winter.

For several months now, it has remained flat, and what little curl happens is held flat where is matters, ie, under the spindle/over the machine rollers.

In my experience, most plywoods wont stay as flat as MDF, and I have not sealed mine. I did buy some thicker Baltic Birch to make my table from, but the two layers of 3/4 MDF have worked so well I havent needed to change.

AJC