PDA

View Full Version : Box

myxpykalix
08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I sold my Legacy Ornamental Mill and had to make a crate for shipping since it was going to Australia:eek:

I made the box design from http://boxmaker.rahulbotics.com/ and man it fit together like a glove. I glued and screwed every finger joint and reinforced the corners and bottom. The box weighs probably 200 lbs. It's going to cost over $800 just for shipping:eek:

MogulTx
08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Having done a lot of international shipping, I know that wood products need to be certified as Kiln Dried/ Heat Treated lumber- unless they are finished wood products. The wafer board is not a problem, due to the processes that go into it before becoming a sheet of woody material. The solid wood corners MIGHT be a problem.

I would note that all the white wood that you get at the local box stores is designated as KD/HT however it does not have an official stamp of a recognized /authorized heat treating outfit.

Some countries will fumigate the shipment as it enters the country to alleviate the problems associated with infested lumber. You might want to check before attempting the shipment. It could save you LOTS of aggravation in the near future...

Good luck.

MGM

gene
08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
If you dont mind what did you sell it for ? I have one and have been thinking of selling it . If you want PM me

myxpykalix
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
It was a 900 with the drive motor, rotary table, and about 3 or 4 other addons and i sold it for $2800.00 plus shipping. It added up with fees to just over $3800.00. It was right at $800 just for shipping about $200.00 in paypal fees and duties on his end, not sure of.

I have seen 900's for sale anywhere from $500.00 to $2500.00. Are you a member of this group?:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/Legacy-Ornamental-Mills

go there and ask and you can get good advice on value from those guys.

donek
08-13-2012, 12:08 AM
I just took a look at that program/web site. It's pretty cool, but I have a question. All the internal corners are square. I've created the overcut to compensate for the radius of the bit manually before. Did you do so, or is there some fancy feature in partworks/some other software that does it automatically for you? Up until about 3 to 4 months ago, the only cam package I'd used was vectorcam, so I'm a bit of a newb to the features available.

steve_g
08-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Sean

Check out the fillets options... you still have to do them one at a time but not manually like the old Part Wizard program!

SG

myxpykalix
08-13-2012, 05:24 AM
I used circles and scissors tedious. The program i'm sure was made to be used with a laser because if you look at their samples they are all cut on a laser which is nice but it is all thin wood, i don't know but i don't think you can cut much thicker then 1/8th"?:confused:

donek
08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Sean

Check out the fillets options... you still have to do them one at a time but not manually like the old Part Wizard program!

SG

Thanks. I found it. That's a big time saver.

Brady Watson
08-13-2012, 07:48 PM
You kids have it so easy today...:rolleyes:

-B