PDA

View Full Version : Is my bot broken?

twelchPTM
08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
My machine is new, had it for a few months but it could still be called brand new. The problem I have is that there is constant variation in my table top. Even immediately after surfacing there is a .01"-.02" of variation in consistent locations. Is this the nature of the beast or is something out of wack on my machine?

Brady Watson
08-23-2012, 06:24 PM
How's the table sitting now that it has had a chance to 'settle in' ? Is it still level? Check all the fasteners and make sure they are tight and make sure the support board bolts are snug. Grab the YZ car with it powered up and wiggle it all around - making sure the lower YZ rollers are tight enough. It could be the YZ lifting in certain spots? You'll have to drop the lower roller covers to see the rollers. The lower V-rollers are on cam adjusters - an 8mm allen and the flat plate in the tool kit will help adjust them if needed. You want them just tight - but not too tight.

-B

gene
08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
how did you fasten the spoilboard down? The best way i have found is to surface the spoilboard then flip it over , then i run a series of 1/4" holes that i drive wood dowels in about 12"oc grid . Also i put some glue on the dowels before i drive them in and after the glue sets up i surface that side , ( this is the way i do it . It may not be the best , correct, most efficient but it is the way i do it)

steve_g
08-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Gene

I'm at a loss... What do the dowels do?

SG

David White
08-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I had a similar problem. I found that if I did not turn my table vac on when I was surfacing it had a slight variation in some areas. The vac pulls the spoil board down slightly.

Good luck
Dave

cowboy1296
08-29-2012, 09:16 AM
If you have a buddy, the rollers can be out of alignment causing this.

twelchPTM
08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Thamks for all the input guys, turns out my bots good but my table needs work. After spending hours drilling dimples into my table and mic'ing each and every one the surfacing and doing it again then waiting four hours and mic'ing a second time I found out three things. My bot is okay. the lumber yards around here suck. mdf and 200 year old buildings in the inner city don't mix (humidity jumps around...gets up out its seat an jumps around). I am going to work with what I got for now which means resurfacing everytime I run a detailed file, and do some looking into alternative products.
I found exterior grade MDF (medite,medite II,extira) for the plenum and I already know MDO is rateted for exterior apllications for the base. I just need to find an exterior grade UL MDF for the bleeder. I figure if I use exterior grade products the humidity won't bother it so much.