PDA

View Full Version : iGrammaphone for iPhone

JDaVinci
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
This is a project I made for my wife. It was a labor of love. I had to make about a dozen iterations until I got it just right. Now that the hard work is done, I want to share it with my ShopBot community.

It's made from a 2x4. The idea was to make it as cheap as possible. The most expensive part is the horn, and it's under $10.

The horn is available on Amazon.com. And the source file (.stl) is available on my blog. I couldn't figure out a way to host a file here. I hope this is OK to give an external link to the blogpost with the file attached to it - someone correct me if I am wrong. I'm not selling this file, I'm giving it away to anyone that can use it.

www.JProStudios.com (http://www.jprostudios.com/iphone-passive-amplifier/#more-197)

See the pictures below for some of the process. There are some extra parts I added in, to make processes down the line easier (although, I'm sure there are better ways). The tabs in the file obviously need to be cut off, then the cylinder is there just so show what needs to be removed, a hole 1/2" I believe, needs to be drilled at a slight downward angle. It will make more sense when you have the horn in your hand... I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Here is a video of it in action:
iGrammaphone Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkn8gC7IFs4)

Please post pictures of the unique spins you put on this. I'm interested to see what others come up with. I've attached pictures of our classic version, and one of the white "contemporary" version. I've seen the horns on amazon sold in Black and in Chrome. I recommend the Black one if you intend to paint it. The paint doesn't stick as well to the chrome.

Note: in one of the photos below, I used a 2x6 not a 2x4. but the file was built around a 2x4, so either one works. The 2x6 of course gives you some 'wiggle room'. Also, I highly recomend toolpath generation through Vectric Cut3d, or Aspire. I would imagine Partworks 3D would work? I don't have it so I can't check, but I understand it's essentially Cut 3D if I understand correctly.

Have fun Botters!
-JD

myxpykalix
08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
That looks cool but won't your arm get tired holding that up to your ear?:rolleyes:

jdervin
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Love it! Does the finish on the 2x4 affect the sound in any way?
The horn looks similar to a bicycle horn I picked up at K-Mart a few years back. Could you post the link to the ones you've found on Amazon?

jdervin
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Okay, so now that I've visited your blog, I see that you've got the Amazon link posted there in addition to the .stl file.

Pays to read everything before responding...
(duh moment)

CNYDWW
08-25-2012, 08:04 AM
A'ight now you got me to listening to my blues and jazz since 6 am in the shop. My neighbor thinks i'm nuts now. Well... maybe not now. He knew i was nuts just to what extent was unclear. Nice Job

Regards
Randy

jerryk
08-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I would love to try to cut this project but when I right click and download the zipped file I get the following message: This file is invalid for use as the following: Certificate Trust list.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong and suggestions as to how to download the stl file?
Thanks

adrianm
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you're trying to open the STL file directly. The STL file extension is registered by Windows to the Certificate Trust process by default.

Once you've downloaded the ZIP file you need to extract the STL file (double click the ZIP file is easiest and then drag drop the STL file to wherever you want it) and then import it into a program that can use it such as Partworks 3D, Aspire etc.