PDA

View Full Version : Carved Barrel Racer

terryjones
08-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I want to share this with everyone. This barrel racer was carved out of yellow EPS foam. Once carved, this was covered with Durham Rock Hard Putty purchased at Lowes as recommended by Bill Palumbo. This product works very well in making the foam durable. It comes in a powder form and simply mixes with water. This application was made to the consistency of syrup. Used an artist brush about 3/4" wide and brushed it on. Applied two coats which made a great tough coating and a nice texture. This carving is approximately 16" wide by 15" tall.

Pictured currently is with the first coat of Modern Masters Metal Effects Copper Paint.
http://www.modernmasters.com/products.asp?mode=category&bid=8

This is similar to Sculpt Nouveau
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/

After the first coat is dry and a glass of Merlot is consumed, the second coat of Modern Masters Metal Effects Copper Paint will be applied and while it is still wet, a misting of Tiffany Green patina will be added over the carving to obtain that aged look. Will post those pictures when complete.

myxpykalix
08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
That looks neat Terry what was the cost comparison between the two products?

terryjones
08-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you Jack,
The prices are virtually the same. Sculpt Nouveau you pay for shipping. The Modern Masters I found in a couple of paint stores here in Houston.

myxpykalix
08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
well you did a nice job, btw in the summer it feels like you died and went to hell in houston it is so hot. Winter time its great, christmas day i was out working in tshirts:eek:

genek
08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Terry nice job... Where did you get the model... It sort of looks like one i do with the laser..

terryjones
08-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Eugene,
Got the STL file from a friend of mine. I am not sure where he got it from.

Tonight, used a scotch bright pad to buff and knock down some of the patina. Then sealed it with Modern Masters Permacoat which is a water base acrylic.
Planning to hang this on the wall.

genek
08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Terry now it really looks great... very nice job.. what does stl stand for... not up on cnc jargan.

phil_o
08-30-2012, 07:50 AM
I believe this is the original source of the barrel racer file. http://www.vectorclip3d.com/?id=3&cPath=24&search_model=barrel+racer

terryjones
08-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Eugene,

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
STL (file format)
Filename extension .stl Developed by 3D Systems
Type of format Stereolithography
STL (STereoLithography) is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software created by 3D Systems. STL is also known as Standard Tessellation Language[1] This file format is supported by many other software packages; it is widely used for rapid prototyping and computer-aided manufacturing. STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. The STL format specifies both ASCII and binary representations. Binary files are more common, since they are more compact [2].
An STL file describes a raw unstructured triangulated surface by the unit normal and vertices (ordered by the right-hand rule) of the triangles using a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.

Phil,
I believe you are correct. He is a member of that site.