PDA

View Full Version : High Def Motors AND New Z?

Stagecraft
09-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm getting tired of living with the chatter and think I'm ready to finally upgrade to the high definition motors. The good folks at Shopbot have suggested that I should also consider upgrading to the new PRS type of Z setup. Our current configuration is a Colombo 5hp spindle on a PRT Alpha strut type gantry over a vacuum equipped table.
Anybody here done a similar upgrade? I know the motors will make a big difference but I wonder if the new Z is worth the additional cost? - Boyd

cedars
09-25-2012, 06:07 AM
In our case all of the chatter/problem was in the wear and old design of the Z on our old prt. I chose to buy a new prs alpha. Very big difference!

Stagecraft
09-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks Steve!

beacon14
09-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I upgraded my PRTAlpha (2004) first to the 7.2-1 geared motors, then added the "retro-Z" axis. Both improvements made a noticeable difference. The machine is cutting better now than it ever has.

Stagecraft
10-20-2012, 10:23 PM
David I piked up my upgrade parts from customs this morning and I managed to get about halfway through the installation today. Just wondering, will I need to change some software settings ie. unit values etc?
Of course I could ask SB but tomorrow is Sunday and I'd like to run some tests on the new gear. - Boyd

gene
10-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I upgraded to the 7.21 motors and it made a big difference . Yes you will have to change the unit values when you change the motors. tell me where to look and i will tell you what mine are set at

Stagecraft
10-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Aaargh!...Thanks for the reply Gene but it looks like I may not get down to the shop today afterall. We currently have our house listed for sale and just had a request for a viewing this afternoon (lots of tidying to do). Looks like I'll have to put this off until Monday - Boyd

beacon14
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I only had to do this once, so you might try to get Gary Campbell to verify, but I believe that you would delete the shopbot.ini file, then run Tools/Shopbot Setup and select the PRTAlpha 7.2 model or something like that.