PDA

View Full Version : T-Mold Groove in Round Table Top?

BTP
10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Is there a way to use the shopbot to cut a T-mold groove in a round table top?

I have been doing them on the regular router table, but 30% of them end up off center.

jerry_stanek
10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
yes there is but it is a little bit of trial and error. You also have to have the right bit

bruce_taylor
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I use a slot cutter on a bearing with a hand router works perfect every time,On the bot a slight variation in depth can cause it to be off Seems like a harder way to do it and come out right.

CNYDWW
10-17-2012, 08:04 PM
In my experience the best way would be a good fixed base router and a bearing bit. The router will follow the variations in the material. On a router table, the surface of the table in conjunction with the plywood may cause an issue. In your case it's unsatisfactory results.

Regards and Luck
Randy

BTP
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I fixed this by mounting 2 pieces of "angle aluminum" right by the router exactly 3/4" high. This keeps the wood exactly flush with the table.
Also, by getting a new T-groove but to cut EXACTLY as deep as I needed. (reduces the "fight" it was giving)

Cuts like butter now. 10% of the table tops will have a scratch on the top from the aluminum since I am using prefinished birch.

But a lot easier to save the finish on the top than to ruin 30% of the tops I was cutting

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16524&stc=1&d=1351694949

chiloquinruss
10-31-2012, 12:41 PM
"scratch on the top from the aluminum " Have you tried a small strip of clear packing tape over the aluminum? I have problems sometimes with my band saw table marring a finish and I've tried just putting down a couple of strips of tape for the material to slide on and that seems to help. Just a thought, glad you got the thing working good anyway. Russ

BTP
11-01-2012, 06:02 PM
"scratch on the top from the aluminum " Have you tried a small strip of clear packing tape over the aluminum? I have problems sometimes with my band saw table marring a finish and I've tried just putting down a couple of strips of tape for the material to slide on and that seems to help. Just a thought, glad you got the thing working good anyway. Russ

this is a good idea
I will try that