PDA

View Full Version : Carl Fredricksen Mask

JDaVinci
10-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Many of you may recognize this character from the Pixar movie "UP". I decided to make a mask as a personal project for Halloween this year. It turned out pretty good.

I first sculpted from clay, a rendition of the character. Then I 3D Scanned it. Then cut from EPS much larger than my original. After hard coat, paint and some hair, it looks pretty good. Still have the rest of the costume to make but thought I'd share this progress. It was all cut on my Shopbot.

Brian Harnett
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Thats pretty cool.

myxpykalix
10-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Ok so where is the mask? I just see you standing there in picture 5 with a silly grin on your face!:rolleyes:

Actually that is an excellent piece of ART! Great job:D

I went back and looked at each picture and for you to be able to hand sculpt an original takes an awful lot of talent.
What type of scanner do you use? How did you carve the whole head model? again good job!

johnh
10-21-2012, 09:09 PM
hahahaha thats such a good job.

gene
10-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought that was Jack :D Thats too cool !
can you go into the shopbot part in more detail ? Please ?

gene
10-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I see it on the vectric forum.

JDaVinci
10-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Actually, that's my dad. He stopped by the studio one evening so I had him put it on.

Thank you for the compliments! The scanner is a homebuilt unit. It was no easy task. But it works well enough for our needs. The head was routed on the shopbot in slices, using Vectric Aspire.

Ok so where is the mask? I just see you standing there in picture 5 with a silly grin on your face!:rolleyes:

Actually that is an excellent piece of ART! Great job:D

I went back and looked at each picture and for you to be able to hand sculpt an original takes an awful lot of talent.
What type of scanner do you use? How did you carve the whole head model? again good job!

gene
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I just had a look at your website , You and your team ( i assume there is one) do some awsome work . Definately very talented. i love the horses

beacon14
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Holy cow, that is awesome.

Doug Haffner
11-14-2012, 12:32 AM
I see you have this all sliced...and it looks like maybe 8" thick material?
Can you give some idea of what kind of carve time it took? I'm dying to carve up some 3D pieces like this- but have wondered what kind of times to expect.

JDaVinci
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Doug,
My shopbot is an older model, (2003 I believe) with the 4G upgrade (2007?) its a standard machine, not an alpha... I'm not sure what machine you are using, but for me, I'll let the machine take its time, I had my time into the original sculpture, and can work on other things while the machine whittles away on the foam.

It is an 8" block, and I want to say this file took about 6-8 hours to cut. I wish I could afford a faster machine, I'd be doing much bigger projects that would really blow your mind. I just don't have the ability to babysit my shopbot 24 hours a day. Someday maybe.

Doug Haffner
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
That amount of time seems reasonable for something that large...even in pieces. I'm just getting a feel for it. I have a PRT circa 2005. Some changes were made by the original owner...all good stuff. Hardened steel rails and upgraded bearings...but I need to eventually upgrade the drivers.

Right now, I'm still learning to drive. I checked out your site...awesome stuff.