PDA

View Full Version : Machine Zero vs Manual Zero

crash5050
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I have the bot built!!! All the wires and hook ups, prox switches and z zero plate all function as they should.

Again, I am coming from a Mach 3 setup where all you had to do was click a button and the machine took where your axis' were and said hey, ok this is machine zero.

I have figured out that I can move the bot to any spot and click zero and it will zero the axis at that point, so if I wanted to start at the middle of a board as my zed zero then all will be cool.

I also saw a simple setup routine in the SB3, if I run that will it find absolute zero for my x and y positions based on the proximity switches?

Oh yeah, and my dust collector, anyone know where I plug that sucker up on the board to make it come on like the router?

Sorry I keep asking questions, but I am scared I am going to break a pinion or something or short circuit the whole town :)

David

jerry_stanek
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
If your proximity switches are set up correct then you use the c3 command to get you to xo yo you will have to put in the correct offsets in the setup routine.

crash5050
11-04-2012, 06:21 PM
So, I have my end stops -.5 inches from the proximity switches. Those are the offsets you refer to?

David

crash5050
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Ran the C3 command, and it zeroed the XY axis', but it went to the wrong end of the table! Either that or I put the YZ gantry on backwards.

pkirby
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Think of your end stops as a last resort for stopping the gantry if something goes extremely wrong. They don't have much to do with the machines position on the table. If you specify a 0.5" offset under the "TS" command, then the machine will setup the "zero" at 0.5" away from the proximity switch. Go thru the "TS" command it will help you thru some of the setup.

As for the gantry moving backwords, go to the "VU" command and put a negative sign "-" in front of the unit value for the x axis.

Hope that helps.

adrianm
11-05-2012, 04:30 AM
So, I have my end stops -.5 inches from the proximity switches. Those are the offsets you refer to?

David

The offset is how far from the XY switches that your "real" XY zero. They can be the same if you want but I set mine so that XY zero is on the corner of a centralised 8x4 sheet even though my machine has more movement than that.

garyc
11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Ran the C3 command, and it zeroed the XY axis', but it went to the wrong end of the table!

David...
If your description is accurate, and you are positive that you know which is the "right" end of the table, in most cases this is caused by the X motors being installed in the wrong locations. Pics would help.

I suggest that you spend some additional time with the manual and possibly with SB Tech Supt to make sure your machine is properly configured BEFORE your learning process starts.

"The ShopBot Manual: widely distributed, seldom read" :rolleyes:

crash5050
11-05-2012, 02:53 PM
it would appear that my lysdexia kicked in and I installed the YZ Gantry Backwards. Oh well, time to do the ole switcharoo.......