PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexic or just stupid?

crash5050
11-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I took pictures this time....

I moved the machine to 48,96, the farthest position that SHOLD be obtained by the machine from the control box, I thought, this would be a good way to get the cable lengths correct in the echain and the wire holders. But something strange is going on, either shopbot sent me an echain that bent the wrong way or I was doing something wrong. Did I put my control box on the wrong side? I am stumped.

Pictures attached.

Brady Watson
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
1) If your computer is there in the back corner...then, your gantry is on backwards. Grab a friend and flip it around.

2) Control box is sitting @ 48,96....not 0,0.

3) I don't like the way the Y motor cable is run - it is going to get pinched and run over. It needs to run straight up the YZ car & then go into the e-chain, along with the Y proxy & Zzero plate wires. If you 'half fast' the wiring on this machine, it will shoot you in the foot later on down the line...over and over again. It should take you 4-6hrs to properly wire that tool, so don't be expedient.

4) Control box mounting tabs go on the inside of the table side extrusion...

I know you are excited...but you should not be driving the tool around yet...Something is going to get hurt.

Are you following the assembly manual step by step? This is a case where you DO need the stinking manual!

-B

jerry_stanek
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
you should start the E chain I think it is 31.5 inches from the in your picture right hand side. It goes under and back up to the z bracket

http://www.shopbotdocs.com/Copy-PRS-Assembly-Manual.html

http://www.shopbotdocs.com/Copy-PRS-Assembly-Manual.html#Mounting_and_adjusting_the_YZ-Car

crash5050
11-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I am not driving it, I just pushed it there, the folks over at shopbot told me my gantry was on wrong, so I turned it around, they said the control box should be at 0,0. Hence the position it is in now. I am so freaking confused!

Brady Watson
11-08-2012, 06:18 PM
David,
Where is your computer going to go, near where the control box is in the picture or back in the corner?

If it is going near the control box (where it is now) then you just have to flip the e-chain around. If back in the corner, you'll have to do what I said above.

-B

crash5050
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I have a saws all, I can fix it!

Brady Watson
11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Go look at the gantry picture they show in the manual on ShopBotDocs titled "Y-axis Energy Chain Installation" That should clear it all up.

-B

garyc
11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
David...
Looking at your 4th picture. The gantry and control box are mounted properly as long as:
1) the machine is at or near the 96,48 position
2) the table corner in the photo lower left is the 0,0 (X, Y home)

3) The wires from the control box enter the Y echain from the left side
4) The wires from the YZ car enter the echain on the end on the right AFTER you loop it over itself and attach it to the echain bracket on the back of the YZ car. This will make more sense if you read that section of the manual once more and attach the echain at both ends prior to running the wires
5) Note: Your computer can be located anywhere the USB cable reaches after assembly

crash5050
11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks Gary,

My eyes are bleeding, the picture says one thing and the instructions say something else. But I think you see my problem. with the motor cables they need to run in from the right of the gantry into the chain then loop up, and some of the cables like the prox and the router need to enter from the top and loop down.

I think hat is what you said?

garyc
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
David...
Read the Doc Brady reccommended. The cables from the control box enter from the LEFT end of the gantry (Behind the YZ car)

The Y axis echain installation instructions are in the manual right after the Spindle and VFD installation

curtiss
11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
As per Gary, and the present gantry set up, I would think the machine is at the corner opposite the 0,0 point.

As you stand at the front facing the router, with the machine at 0,0, the router should be on the side nearest to you. Right side is 0, Far Left is 48

If you want the 0,0 to be at the present end as in pic 4, I think you would have to flip the gantry 180.

adrianm
11-09-2012, 03:53 AM
One thing that might not be immediately obvious when reading the instructions and looking at drawings is that the front of a shopbot is not where a lot of people think it is.

The front is the long side with the control box on it as you have yours setup.

The open ends are the left and right.

Brady Watson
11-09-2012, 07:12 AM
One thing that might not be immediately obvious when reading the instructions and looking at drawings is that the front of a shopbot is not where a lot of people think it is.

If you actually read the assembly manual, the machine orientation is on page 2 or 3...A lot of time went into putting together the manual. There are a few places of 'gray area' that are not easily conveyed in written form with illustrations, but for the most part, it is very easy to understand and thorough.

The first thing you should think about when you set up one of these machines is, where are you going to put the computer & where do you want to work. In this case, I think the computer would be best suited back in the corner of this room, protected - rather than on an open corner. It all depends on how & where you prefer to work. Some people like it on an open corner...I prefer it in a 'nook' where it is away from forklifts, traffic and other hazards, because I've had to go out and repair tools that got clipped...Not saying that will be the case in this shop, but some thought should go into where you want to stand in your shop.

-B

adrianm
11-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I've read the manual (several times) and I know where the front is but after helping many people with ShopBots and other CNC machines on many forums there are a lot of people who just don't seem to get that part despite the instructions being clear (IMO).

Just trying to point that out in my tactful English way. ;)

Brady Watson
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I've read the manual (several times) and I know where the front is but after helping many people with ShopBots and other CNC machines on many forums there are a lot of people who just don't seem to get that part despite the instructions being clear (IMO).

Just trying to point that out in my tactful English way. ;)

I hear you loud & clear m8 :D

Not to sound like an old fart...but when I got into this, there was no spoon feeding. There were no color illustrations (!), sample files (except for C1 - cut the SB logo), videos, step by step tutorials etc. You got the machine, a thick binder with grainy b&w pics 240x320 (if that) and the software help file was vague and often unclear. The router didn't go on & off by itself, proxies, Zzero plates and table frames were cost added options, and about 3 people could cut a 3D relief on their Bot. These kids today have no clue how good they've got it! HA! :p

-B

crash5050
11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Just wanted to finish this thread. I have the E-Chain assembled and working thatnks to Gary's advice. Brady, you have a lot of smarts, but every post you made inferred that I had not read the manual. I read that manual until my head hurt, it made absolutley no sense. Gary's suggestion to hook the echain up and then feed the wires in was the ticket.

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.

MogulTx
11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
David,

I have found that the manual can be SORELY lacking. I was recently looking for the wiring information for wiring the ZZ Alligator clip into the multiprong connector that comes over onto the YZ assembly. I found that the ZZ is barely mentioned and NO information was given as to installation of the alligator clip... (In my manual- which I got with the machine. A 2008 PRS Alpha. Bought Used- so there is a POSSIBILITY that the previous owner lost a section or something...)... I have found a few things like this that are a BIT exasperating. Thank God the folks at ShopBot are both responsive and sharp. They have helped me a GREAT deal. And the people on this forum have helped me MANY times.

Don't get distracted. Ask the questions and find the answers... it is a worthwhile slog!

MGM

garyc
11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
MGM...
Have you downloaded the updated version(s) of the manual? I am sure that it is better than it was in 2008. Take a peek:
http://www.shopbotdocs.com/Copy-PRS-Assembly-Manual.html

Like Brady, I travel the country servicing ShopBot machines. There are very few cases where the info to adjust, repair, hook up or install what the costomer is looking for is not in the manual. Most of the time in their OEM printed manual, but almost for sure in the updated version. Most have comments similar to yours. I often take the time to show them where the "unfound" info is located. If everyone took the time to read and understood all the documentation, Brady and I would be out looking for work.

I need some T shirts made. One side says:
"The ShopBot Manual: Widely Distributed, Seldom Read" :confused:
The other side says in large bold letters: "RTFM" :D

Brady Watson
11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Have you downloaded the updated version(s) of the manual? I am sure that it is better than it was in 2008.

I didn't even think about the 2008 vs 2012 documentation...I can see where there might be some confusion...Definitely check out the stuff on ShopBotDocs.com

If everyone took the time to read and understood all the documentation, Brady and I would be out looking for work.

Yes. Picture the Maytag repair man...

Bill Hicks: "What Are You Reading for" ? Pretty much sums it all up.

-B