PDA

View Full Version : Form tool and toolpath question

Ross Leidy
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure I can explain what I'd like to do without a drawing, but I'll give it a shot. My Desktop is enroute, so my experience is nil. But, I'm trying to get a handle on the software capabilities ahead of time.

So, I understand I can create a form tool definition for a plunge round-over bit. Let's say 3/8" radius. Now, the material I'll be cutting will almost always be less than 3/8" thick, and the thickness will vary from piece to piece. However, I always want the top of the radius cutter to just kiss the top of the material, and I assume that means I will zero Z on the top of the workpiece and use a fixed depth of cut (so, the bit will cut into the spoil board to a varying depth depending upon the thickness of the material). My question is this: If I specify the exact material thickness in PartWorks for the profile toolpath, will the generated toolpath take into account where the radius of the cutter intersects with the bottom of the material so that the final part has the identical profile shape regardless of whether it's cut from a thin or thick material? Or, do I need to calculate this myself and enter it as an allowance for material less than 3/8" thick?

mark_m
11-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Hello Ross,

With your example, set the Z Zero to the surface of the material.
Set the Cut Depth to 3/8". If the material is less than 3/8" thick, the software will warn you that the toolpath would cut into the spoilboard.
Try a few examples and take a look at these in the 3D toolpath preview window before you cut anything, it should hopefully become clear.

I hope that this helps,

Cheers,

Mark.