PDA

View Full Version : "Zero Cost" Dust Boot Foot All Scrap Plywood

rustnrot
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Attached are photos of a dust boot I fabbed the other day when my original finally bit the dust (sorry).

I also attached the cutting file and more pics (due to pic limit) on the next thread entry below for those that want to modify and improve on this. It presently fits a Milwaukee router.

My constraint was to keep the dust hose to the rear of the gantry. It seems there are several aftermarket and DIY dust feet that exhaust to the front but I didn't want that.

While it is not transparent being all plywood it has not been a problem for me so far.

Note that the original "dust foot elevator assembly" has been reused and "floats" inside its own pocket for easier fit-up and strength (no weak fastener points).

The bottom 3 layers I simply glued together and then screwed the top two on. I used a piece of HVAC duct flange for the connection to the 4 inch exhaust hose.

rustnrot
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
More pics and .crv file.

.CRV file shows as a .pdf file since that is the only way I could get this board software to upload it. Download it and remove the .pdf and it should be its original .crv file.

frank134
11-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Tom that a really nice dust foot you made and really nice of you to put it up for everyone.

phil_o
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Tom, i like your design. I'm considering making one. I'm wondering if there is a problem with reduced clearance over the workpiece and clamps.

Phil

rustnrot
11-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't have a problem as I rarely ever use clamps but screws flush with the top to hold down material. Once it is cinched up, the bottom of it comes almost even with the bottom of the router collet nut. If you made the "2nd story" out of 1/2" ply you would gain another 1/4" clearance and it would hang no lower than the bottom edge of the collet. There would still be plenty of plenum height, in my opinion.

phil_o
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Phil

dlcw
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
More pics and zipped .crv file.

Hi Tim,

I appreciate you taking the time to put this project together.

When I try to open the ZIP file, I'm getting an error message saying the file is damaged. Any ideas?

frank134
11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Tim
I am also having a problem opening the file.

rustnrot
11-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I could not get the zipping to work so I added a .pdf to the end of the .crv file in my above post.

It should work now. Download the file and after downloading remove the .pdf from the end of the file by using the renaming command. You should then have the original .crv file you want and it will open with PartWorks.

frank134
11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Thank Tom. That work.

kevin
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
It looks like a good design because i like to keep the vacum in the back so the drill can work.I have an older part work and can't open can you convert to dxf
Thank good post

dlcw
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I can't seem to be able to get rid of the 'pdf' in the file name. The only thing that shows up on my system is in the picture attached.

Any ideas on how to get his renamed? I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

adrianm
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
You've got Windows set to hide file extensions.

In the same window as your screenshot shows on the menu go into Tools then Folder Options then View.

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in advanced settings.

You should now be able to see the .pdf on the end of the file and change it to .crv.

dlcw
11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
You've got Windows set to hide file extensions.

In the same window as your screenshot shows on the menu go into Tools then Folder Options then View.

Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in advanced settings.

You should now be able to see the .pdf on the end of the file and change it to .crv.

Thanks Adrian! :)

That did it.

rustnrot
11-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Posted .dxf.

It would seem to me to make this forum allow direct posting of .crv files also...

kevin
11-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks it works

dlcw
11-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Posted .dxf.

It would seem to me to make this forum allow direct posting of .crv files also...

HUGE sense to accept Partworks and Aspire files directly. Seems pretty strange that the forum can't accept files that its users are trying to share with each other. Especially when the company sponsoring the forum distributes the program to create those files. :eek:

ShopBot? Can you guys make this happen please? :)

ssflyer
11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Just zip them - saves bandwidth for everyone...

kevin
01-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Tom
It was quite in the shop this week .I made it works amazing

I used it for a spidle a little high maybe one less plywood stay at 2 1/4 but the extra sucktion is nice

I'am going to make one out of plexiglass mainly because I'am not shure if the spidle is turning make it for 5 inch hose this should take care of cloging

Thanks i was getting fustrated trying to keep up with the dust .I need a backward solution so my drill can work

I'll post pictures

kevin
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I tweak the drawing made it a little longer to fit a 5 inch dust hose
Used paint brush bristles with velcrow

Should fit most of my bits

The dust left behind is measured in teasoons

kevin
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
forgot to spin photo

rustnrot
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Looks good! I've thought about an indexer before. I see you have one. Dust collection for it must be near zero though...