PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Spindle Response Problem

mwpfeifer
12-11-2012, 09:19 AM
I downloaded the latest version of the SB control software (3.6.44), ran the setup routine and updated the firmware and now software control of my Yaskawa VFD is really strange. When I run the C5 warm-up routine the RPM window on the VFD reads 5.6 when the TR, 9000 command line is active (spindle was obviously running much slower than 9000) at the TR, 10000 command line the VFD reads 6.0 and at the 12000 command line it reads 7.2, however, the spindle RPM window on the monitor screen reads 9000, 10000, and 12000 respectively and the spindle is running at approximately half the commanded speed. Also the “Open with SB3” line is set to “1” under the TR command, however, the spindle is not turning on, have to hit “run” on the VFD.

When I input a specific RPM into the window on the monitor and hit return the spindle responds but runs much slower. If I input 17000 the VFD shows 10.2 and appears to run at that RPM. Entering 22000
results in a VFD display of 13.2 and entering 30000 results in the display showing 18.0. It is pretty obvious that the spindle is actually running at whatever RPM is displayed on the VFD and not what is input to the RPM window on the monitor.

If I close the RPM window on the monitor and manually control the spindle via the VFD front panel the spindle speeds are correct. (My Bot is a Buddy 48 Std. with the 2.2hp spindle control board.) This has got to be a software issue but I am at a loss to figure out what is not set correctly. Anyone experience anything like this???

bill.young
12-11-2012, 09:34 AM
In the settings for the Spindle Control make sure the correct model of vfd is selected...having the wrong one will cause that problem.

Bill

adrianm
12-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I had a similar issue while updating the control software as well.

To fix it it required going into the setup menu on the RPM control window (click top left) and make sure that the Hertz is set to 100 and the other (can't remember it's name) is set to 60.

mwpfeifer
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Adrian,
Thanks that worked for the RPMs, the VFD is now responding to speed (TR) commands within the cut files and the spindle is turning the right RPMs.
Still no joy on the Software commanding the spindle to turn on or off. Have to do that manually using the VFD front panel.

Bill,
Correct VFD was selected., thanks.

Mike

jerry_stanek
12-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Is your tr command set to start at the shopbot startup

mwpfeifer
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Jerry,
Yes it is, thanks.
Mike

garyc
12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Michael...
Have you set the VFD remote/local button to local? (top right button)

mwpfeifer
12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Gary,
Good question, I'll have to check that one out when I got to the shop tomorrow morning. I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Mike

mwpfeifer
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Gary,
I checked the VFD and it is in remote (rE) configuration. If I am correct the VFD is connected to SB3 Output #1, however, if I click on the Output #1 indicator nothing happens nor does anything happen for any of the other Output indicators and I'm not sure it's supposed to. If I am understanding the cut file code correctly the command "SO, 1, 1" is supposed to command the spindle to start, this does not happen, however, a "TR, 12000" for instance will raise or lower the RPM if it was running at something other that this. Additionally, I can change the RPM by typing into the little RPM window that is on the desktop and hitting Enter and if I enter a 0 in this window followed by an Enter the RPM will go to 0.

For whatever reason the only thing I currently cannot do is turn the spindle off and on using the "SO" command lines in the cut files. There has to be some setting that's not correct but, I can't figure out what that could be. Everything else on my BT-48 Std appears to be working nominally.

jerry_stanek
12-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Go through you VFD settings. On mine it is noo3 1for the software to turn the spindle on and noo3 0 for manual on

mwpfeifer
12-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Jerry, no joy on that suggestion. n003 was set to "0" and changing it to "1" did not allow the software to turn on the spindle, in fact with it set to "1" I couldn't turn it on manually either so have set it back to "0".
Thanks anyway.
Mike